Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

RB5 Fender owners

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lowfrez, Jan 11, 2002.

1. Anyone know where i can get a different color pickguard for my bass? I'm getting tired of the look of the off-white one. i was thinking maybe a shell one. Let me know, Thanks for any feedback in advance.:)

2. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    pickguards.com will make you anything.

jason

3. nymph

nymph

Mar 16, 2001
    Bucyrus Ohio
    www.ebay.com for all your aution needs can get anything cheeper than what they are selling it for on the web sites.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Doesn't the sunburst version of the RB5 come with a shell pickguard? That would mean Fender makes one.

5. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Umm..let us know when a Roscoe beck 5 string pickguard shows up on Ebay, mmkay?

6. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    Fender originally used a shell pickguard on the sunburst RB 5 but had a problem of some kind and started putting the off white pickguard on all of the RB 5's.

I sent a tracing of mine to WD Products and they made a shell pickguard that fit my RB 5 perfectly and improved the looks IMO.

Chuck

7. Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll def have to try these....

8. For the most accurate fit, Jeanne's Pickguards requests you send them your current pick guard so they can exactly match the holes.

Turn around time for them is very fast. A couple days in-plant, and the rest is shipping time.

9. When I checked on getting a new pick-guard for my RB-5, everyone either wanted a tracing or the original guard sent to them. I've heard some horror stories about guards made from tracings. I also didn't want the bass down as long as it would take if I sent in the original guard.

I mentioned it to my local luthier and he suggested that I just get a blank of whatever material I wanted it made from, and he would make me one. He's going to use the original guard as a template. From what he said, any luthier that knows what he's doing could do the same. I'm getting the blank from Warmoth. Downtime will be 3-5 days.