Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

RB5 or Bass VI?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tallguybcs, Jun 16, 2002.

1. At a local Sam Ash *they actually have very helpful, nice employees* they have a blue RB 5, dated 1998, new, and actually, is still really clean, actually it hasnt been played much at all. Is a great bass, for $1091+tax. Im new to 5 strings, and the neck is a bit big, but its not a problem, sitting down.

There is also a MIJ Bass VI, I think the date is 2000, but im not sure on MIJ stuff, the first number is 0 though. Beautiful instrument, I didnt play it as much as the RB5 (I went there to check out the RB5) but it did sound good. There is one ding on the back. The price is $671+tax

It would take a bit to get the money for the RB5, but I have a job and am selling unused basses *MIA P and musicmaster*

I am leaning towards the VI since the neck is easier to manage, and I have a *real* bass in my modded MIM J.

Anyone wanna chime in and help out with my choice?

2. Personally, I'd go for the Fender VI.

3. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

I assume you mean Bass V (5) and not VI (6).

I love my RB5. It is incredibly versitale and sounds great in a wide variety of situations. But trust your instincts, they are usually right.

4. Those are the ones with the high C, right?

I didn't think they made Japanese reissues of those...

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    AFAIK they don't... must be a V or 5 string.

The price on the 98 RB5 sounds high.

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    RB5 all they way. The Bass VI (if that's what it is) is pretty much useless for actual bass playing. Get them down to about $800 on the RB5, though.

7. Yeah, its the VI, and I just came back from playing both again, and the VI sounds weak, although the setup was terrible, high sction the low E was hitting the bridge screw, causing a clanking sound. The price of the RB 5 did seem high, I'll probably end up getting one used.

I'm pretty sure I want the RB 5, it was a much more useful tone, and the B sounds really good.

Also, I know Fender makes the RB 5 in CAR, but I've never seen on, on the web or anywhere, anyone have a pic of one in CAR? Does it have the matching headstock?

Thanks for the replies so far.

8. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    when you say Fender VI it's the Jaguar VI japan reissue ??

If so, it's from 95 cauz they stopped production that year, and it's a rare one .....

9. NO! It's the Fender Bass VI, it was originally made from 1962-1970ish.

They were reissued, being made in Japan.

Please don't question my intelligence

10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

IMO the RB5 is far superior to either the Bass V or Bass VI, but if your opinion differs then that's all that matters.

11. ahpook

ahpook

Jul 13, 2001
    if the fender VI's e-string was clanking off the bridge is just a poor setup - mine was like that when i got it and a few tweaks sorted it out.

to be honest, unless you're specifically after a VI, i wouldn't get one expecting it to be just like a 6-strng bass....i wouldn't say it's useless for bass playing, but to play conventioanl style bass on it is a waste.

12. Jeff Haley

Jeff Haley

May 17, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga.
    I own two Rb 5's and they are great basses. 1100 for a new one is a fair deal. If it is used 800- 850 would be more in line. Good luck.

13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I don't think your intelligence is being questioned. I myself didn't know they reissued the original Bass VI. That's why you're being questioned.

Learn something new every day;)

14. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    i'll question your intelligence there smart guy whats the capitol of outer mongolia.... huh ... huh ... yeah thats right there susy i dint hear ya chime in now did i....;)

15. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    That'd be Ulaan Baatar.

16. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I wouldn't say the Bass VI is useless. Jack Bruce did use one early on, and I have a friend who owns one, and a 1969 one at that. He gets a very good sound out of it.

The reissues, properly set up, are more than halfway decent.

17. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Nope. Useless.

18. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    It's a bad carpenter that blames his hammer.:D

(Runs away laughing)

19. I'll sell you my RB5 for $850 and you pay shipping:cool:

Candy apple red, barley played, i play all fretless now, haven't had much use for this bass, i want to see it go to a good home.

Gary

20. ahpook

ahpook

Jul 13, 2001
    the fender VI - useless ?

are you sure you're not a guitarist ?

;)