RB5 vs Fender AM with J-retro

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fire-Starter, Oct 18, 2004.

1. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    I have both of these basses the Roscoe Beck5, and a Fender AM STD 5, I was curious if I installed a J -retro preamp into my Fender, would I get the versitility I have with the RB5, but more headroom, or should I just get an outboard preamp like Sadowsky to use with them both? :meh:
  2. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I own a RB5 and other passive basses I wanted to hear with an active pre-amp. I got the Aguilar DB924 and walla! it does the trick if I want to go that way. I would never add an inboard pre of any kind when I can use this pre with any bass.
  3. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I have experience with both the retro and the RB5 (passive only though), I have to say that the RB5 with the retro, would still be more versatile than the American Deluxe with the retro in it, passive, I think personally I'd pick the RB5 (I have a Jaco 4 fretless with a retro), it gives different sounds, but I'd still say PERSONALLY (in my opinion), I like the RB5 player, this might be because I'm slightly biased towards the RB5, but in my ears it sounds better.
    As for onboard or outboard, again I'd say its your personal opinion, because personally I like to have my switches onboard, because I like to tweak settings and stuff between songs and whatnot, and its a pain to reach over to the outboard and tweak stuff in between songs.
  4. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I played a RB5 recently in a local bass shop and was very impressed with it's punch and focus. I was surprised to learn it was passive. I didn't really think it needed anything more. I'd recommend plugging into an outboard and listen to the benefits and ask if the differences between passive and active warrant the addition of an active pre (inboard or outboard). Personally, I like having the controls on my bass.