Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

RB5 vs Marcus Miller 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by msangster, Dec 1, 2004.

1. I am thinking about getting a 5 string. Which do you guys like best Roscoe Beck 5 or Marcus Miller 5. I like r & b and funk and gospel. Thanks.

2. I like both. But that Marcus 5 is funk. Powerful bass. I just ordered its chrome pickup cover for my custom vintage 5 string J bass. Have you played both yet?

I think the RB5 is more versatile and may easier to slap because of the neck. I prefer the sound quaility and simplicity of basses w/o batteries, PC boards and ICs.

Need a workhouse swiss army knife bass that does everything, get the RB5 (in suburst).

Need to look cool and sound funky, get the Marcus 5. It does have sex appeal, which may night be important in a church.

3. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    I gotta tellya the MM5 is lot more than a Funk bass but I think the RB5 can mimmick any sound of the real good basses that's out there and it to is a great playing bass.....I think I'll purchase one soon.

4. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I love MM 4's, but I don't like MM 5's. This is probably because all I would do with an MM 4 is slap the thing like crazy, but I don't play slap on 5 strings. For fingerstyle playing, my favorite sound is the sound I get out of a Bartolini MM pickup. I just think that design is best suited for everything but slap; that position is the most stable "sweet spot" a bass has.

For that reason, though I would pick many many 5 string basses before I choose an RB5, I will have to go with the RB5 on this one.

5. Little G

Little G

Feb 27, 2003
    I bought the MMV last year and love it. It's now my main axe.
    I have no issue with slapping.

I found most 5 strings struggle when slapping on the B but this is very responsive and great sound.

This was the first 5 string I bought and found swapping between the 4 and 5 string very easy. The low end is a beast too.

Here is a tune I recorded in a studio with it. The sound engineer loved it as he didn't bother eqing it and I went in passive with the amp flat. Just gives you an idea of the bass finger style which for this project is all I use.

In You I Hide

6. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I'd go with the RB5 as it's design is stable and it is a wonderful sounding passive bass. The MM5 design is still in flux with an improved preamp coming soon.

7. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I'd go with the RB5 as it's design is stable and it is a wonderful sounding passive bass. The MM5 design is still in flux with an improved preamp coming soon.

8. you can say that again. . .