Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

RBASS GUITARS

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nine-and-three-Quarters, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Nine-and-three-Quarters

Nine-and-three-Quarters Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2006
    The Atlanta, GA Area
    Hello everyone,
    I'm somewhat new to this bass community and have never ever wrote a review on any bass guitar maker. The reason for this post is to tell you exactly how fabulous Rbass guitar are. Now I've read a few post about rbasses and for the most part everyone likes them and there's a few that think they are carbon copies of Fodera. Anyhow from reading the post on talk bass I decided to put rbasses on my "to try" list so I log off of TB and onto www.rbassguitars.com and what do you know there's 2 for sale so I call Ray to get the prices on both of them after telling me that they were $2800 each I decided to ask what price he would give me for both basses and Ray being the nice guy he is decided to give me both basses for $5000.00 shipped. I'm figuring that if I don't like them then I can at least sell them and get some of my money back. Afterall, I never tried them before but they looked just like my very expensive Fodera. Heck how could I go wrong. I'm not the first to say this and I probably won't be the last to say SO WHAT!! if they look like Fodera's I'm even going to be as bold to say that Rbass are better than Fodera's! That's right, I said it. And how do I know you might ask? I'm comparing the 2 side by side right now. Me and my bass crew has just spent the last 2 hours playing every bass I have comparing them to my new Rbasses And believe me I've always upheld my Fodera as being the best of the best and have bragged countless times to my friends as the tone literally ate their basses alive. I've always been very fortunate to have owned any and every high-end bass guitar that I've ever wanted to own. In fact the most money I've ever spend on one bass is $7000.00 and I'm ashame to say that after playing a Rbass that I've been ripped off. What Ray at Rbasses has done is taken something already great and made it the best. I've never in all the hundreds and hundreds of basses I've owned ever felt or heard a bass that sounds better or plays so effortless. I've been playing bass for 17 years now and I'm telling you guys get you a Rbass. Please use me for your experience. I've owned every name brand high-end boutique bass on the market right down from Warrior, lakland, ken smith, fodera etc... You name it I've owned it. I can save you a lot of time and effort right now. GET YOU A RBASS. IT'S SIMPLY THE BEST. I just got off of the phone with Ray and was informed that he was about 1 month away from finishing a maple burl SC 5 string and I told him it was as good as sold. I will then have him make me a 6 SC and I bet you can guess what bass I'm going to sell to fund these basses. Yeah there just that good! Ray is no joke! Save yourself time and a bunch of money. I'm getting $6000.00 or $7000.00 basses for less than $3000.00 How can you go wrong. Your Thoughts?? Any Questions?

2. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    you sound like an advertisement.

:)

i think someone posted about wanting that red Rbass that's for sale on the website. it's pretty sweet.

3. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Just for the record, I'll chime in and say that out of all the Fodera's I've played and all the R-Basses I've played (a few of each) I've found the R-Basses to all be lighter, easier to play, and more toneful (resonant). The Foderas have all been too heavy and their necks too chunky for me.

I'm not trying to get in a peeing match with Jared, I just want anybody who sees this thread to get both perspectives.

If we're going to talk about build quality, I'll further submit that the fretwork on my R is flawless and the neck hasn't moved a hair in the last year. I haven't heard the same reports from some Fodera owners.

Jared, to make this fun we could both put some clips up? :)

EDIT: But, I'll be first to admit that's a weird first post for somebody. Sorry sh.

4. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    "sniff sniff"...... I think i smell spam......... :ninja:

5. Nine-and-three-Quarters

Nine-and-three-Quarters Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2006
    The Atlanta, GA Area
    I purchased the purpleheart and the shedua bass on Ray's website. Ray has no idea that I posted this. I've sold plenty of my high-end basses on ebay with a perfect 100% rating in fact I just sold 2 of my benavente's on Ebay. Check me out my user id is blackbeauty208 Please feel free to email me and I'll send you brand new pictures of the bass from my email address. I don't know how Ray use to make his basses before however, all I can say now is that his basses are better. And for all you Fodera SC Elite fans I will be listing mine on Ebay as of tomorrow. Go ahead give me $5000 for my Fodera I dare you. You'll see how serious I am about Rbasses. Fodera sucks compared to Rbass and that's the truth of the matter. Just because the best bass player in the world plays a Fodera doesn't mean its the best bass. don't get caught up in the hipe of owning a Fodera just because of the name. Keep a open mind and you'll see where I'm coming from. Ps. am I suppose to take an easy and not tell the true beacause its my first post? What can I say? I'm not a shy guy:)

6. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    No, but when you decide to spam as your first post, you look like a snake oil salesman. :rollno:

Rule #7: Spam = BAD

7. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    Fodera sucks compared to Rbass?? Hmm , that's a pretty radical claim. But more power to ya... i guess.

8. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    Cool. . . congrats on the R Basses. Tell you what... since your Fodera sucks and you got both R Basses for $5000 shipped, I'll give you $2500 for your Fodera. That's including FedEx Standard Overnight shipping, of course. Should be a relatively good deal for you given that your $2500 R Basses completely outclass the Fodera. Right? I'll wait for your PM. . . . . . . . . . . . .

9. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I'm trying to figure out the logic here...maybe it's above my head...should I give you my Rolex because I prefer to wear my Seiko?

10. kelbrihan

kelbrihan Banned [Deceiving users with multiple usernames] Banned

Dec 2, 2004
    I dare you to trade me your Fodera for a Rbass, bass for bass. C'mon, I double dog dare ya, Make my day.

11. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    Sure!

By the way, you understand my ill logic just fine. ;)

12. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    My .02 on Rbasses are that they're an awsome deal!

I've probobly played about 5 of them, and each and every one of them was very good. In fact, I played one a back to back comparison to a Fodera, and I thought the Rbass was as good or better. To be fair, the wood combinations of the two tested were different, so it was possible that I just prefered the tonal combination of the Rbass better, but I'd say that the craftmanship of the bass was equally as nice as the Fodera at half the price.

My only beef, and I can see why the Fodera fans get pissed when Rbass is brought up, is that his basses are just too close too looking like Fodera's. If he changed it up some and started offering some more unique features that would set aside Rbass from the rest, I think he'd have a lot more fans.

13. jordanm

jordanm

Feb 24, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I think I heard Ray mention that he is changing his body styles, and he was trying to unload these last two of the older styles? I could be wrong.

Though I dont think he is the only one "copying" the fodera style bass. Personally I dont really care, Im looking more at craftsmanship, sound, and playability than if the bass looks like another. You don't see Fender guys complaining about Sadowsky's do you? Thats because its a better product. If he is making a better or as good product that looks similar for half the price..? Come on now

14. kelbrihan

Dec 2, 2004
    Actually Fender sued everyone who was copying them, why do you think that they are called Ibanez "lawsuit" bass or strat. That's why noone ( Sadowsky, Mike Lull, Nordstrand, Coppola) can have the same headstock design as Fender. I'm not sure if he ever worked or apprenticed for Fodera, but my understanding is that Fodera use to support Ray and even give him access to their shop and tools to build his basses. But when they had customers calling and complaining about the Rbasses level of quality. They had a falling out and put up a "conterfiet Fodera" warning on their site because Rays basses were being promoted as "just as good as Fodera but without the price", while being built in their shop with their tools. They both were using the HazLab pres and the basses were carbon copies of Foderas designs. I have noticed that Ray has started using different preamps and pickups but I do think that he should have used his own ideas for his basses.

15. kelbrihan

Dec 2, 2004
    Fodera fans get pissed because Rbasses are never brought up by themselves, they are always compared to Foderas, even by the builder of the basses. Just look at the very first post.:scowl: I looked at the 2 singlecut basses that Ray had up for sale on his site and found IDENTICAL versions ( same singlecut 5 desiged models, same wood combos choices, body, tops and fingerboard woods, pickup configurations, etc...)of Foderas in the gallery of sold basses at The Groove Shoppe, and Bass Northwest. Meaning that the Foderas were made first and that Ray copied them, imagine if I painted an exact copy of the MOna Lisa and signed my name to it and said "it's the same quality painting at half the price", :spit: it's shameless.

16. kelbrihan

Dec 2, 2004

17. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    I think that the problem with Ray and others is that they are riding the coat tales of someone else. To make carbon copies of Fodera models, to me, just shows a lack of integrity. It's an easy way to make a buck.

They're are a lot of great brands out there and a lot of luthiers who make great basses - Vinnie doesn't have the market cornered on making great basses. I'm all for Ray making his own custom basses - but he has to do just that, and make them his own; Not knock-offs of someone else.

He's certainly not the only one doing it ( I remember seeing a Holly topped single cut floating around here that was a carbon copy of an Emperor two in the same wood combo) but at least some of the other guys have branched out into some slightly more original designs recently.

Anyway, if you're happy with it I guess that is all that matters. Enjoy it.

18. kelbrihan

Dec 2, 2004

+1.
    p.s. Day 3 and still no Fodera Single cut on Ebay.

19. This is just my opinion. I think that there's no shame in being influenced by one of the greats. I like to think that I'm a fairly good slapper, but most of my technique is strongly influenced by what Vic and Marcus are doing. Nothing wrong with that, right?
    But notice I say influence, not copy. This guy is a talented luthier, most agree on that. He's great at what he does, and he'd get a lot more respect and a lot more popularity if he just came up with some more original designs. I think it's a waste for someone with that much talent at what he does to be riding on someone elses 'coattails.'
    I can see where Joel is coming from with this, but to be fair, it's not that easy to make basses that people are comparing, and even are preferring to Foderas. But copies? Well, couldn't you just say Sadowsky Basses are Fender copies at 3 times the price? Just asking... *puts on flame suit*
    So to make it simple, I just have to say that there's no problem in being influenced by one of the best bass makers (be it Fodera, Carl Thompson, or whomever). None. But copies? Direct copies right down to wood choices? That's not cool. This guy's a great luthier, but needs to get some of his own ideas out there.

Now that I think about it, maybe that's why he did this in the first place? Maybe he rode Fodera's name to get a name for himself, and now use that to get his own stuff out there...Hmm...

Anyways,

Peace,
    Drake

20. Indeed. And his one non-RBass thread doesn't exactly demonstrate the kind of background and knowledge of how basses work that I'd expect from someone who's "owned every name brand high-end boutique bass on the market right down from Warrior, lakland, ken smith, fodera etc..." (see Passive preamp hummmmms HELP).

No insult to Ray's work--there are obviously folks here on TB who are really pleased with their RBasses---but this just comes across as SPAM from an anonymous poster with nothing to back it up...