1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

rbass vs. bassgear?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jzucker, Aug 7, 2007.

1. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Anyone following the flamefest between rbass and a couple of disgruntled customers? Some nasty stuff going on there.

2. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I didn't know there was anything going on, whats the story?

3. subscribed! :ninja:

4. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Bryan, TX
    I don't know what their beef is with Ray....I don't want to guess, as it's none of my business. However, I am waiting on a bass from him now...it's been done for a while, but he's been having serious problems with Hipshot, as are MANY other builders. Problems with quality and delivery time are holding up many customers' basses. In fact, I'm waiting an a Nordy, and Carey informed me that they are having a hard time delivering on time.
    I have had a fine experience with Ray...no problems from me. I'm just looking forward to getting MY bass!

5. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    It seems that two guys are posting on bassgear and complaining that they traded Ray a bass or used a bass for payment towards an RBass and then he took forever to get them their bass. They are also claiming that he has been terrible with communication and that he doesn't return their emails and his phone is broken. Ray replied that his phone is broken but that he informed them of the delays with their instruments. It is a pretty heated discussion on bassgear.

6. What's up with Hipshot? I didn't know they were having issues. I could see that biting a few luthiers in the pants, not just Ray and Carey...

7. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    I have had no problems with Ray but I do know that he has a bad reputation for his lack of communication with customers.

The guy who first posted about Ray is an old pro bassist named Chucho. I spoke with Chucho on Saturday and he had asked me about dealing with Ray in the past. Chucho is a very honest and stand-up guy. His frustration with Ray seemed to come out in a public forum after weeks of waiting to hear anything from Ray.

Ray makes great basses but he is a peculiar business man...