1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

RBD (reborn bass day)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SwagAttack, Jan 1, 2012.

1. SwagAttack

SwagAttack

Sep 14, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    So, a few years ago, I saw a cheap mm copy on ebay that came without a pickguard and only had a tone knob. Well yesterday, I finally finished it completely. At first I had routed another mm pickup in the neck position, and put 2 Mighty Mite pickups with v/v/t. It didn't impress me much, so I scrapped that and started over. I made a custom pickguard (it shows), got two GFS MM Pro pickups, wired each with a north coil/parallel/south coil switches, a series/parallel for both pickups in combination, and added a mute switch. It was indeed reborn from a $70 SR4 copy pos on ebay to a passive MM HH monster. The wiring took hours to complete, and the cavity is a mess, but whatever it works awesome. A big thanks to SGD Lutherie and Line6man for answering all my question and the guidance they gave me.

Attached Files:

2. xander8280

xander8280

Dec 29, 2011
    Damn

3. FBS1996

FBS1996

Feb 14, 2011
    That's a lot o' switches! I'd love to hear how this sounds

4. SwagAttack

SwagAttack

Sep 14, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    The GFS pickups in parallel sound extremely close to the actual MM pickups in the bridge position. I may be able to get a few clips up in the next few days, but I am still packing up to go back to school tomorrow:crying:

5. Love it, well done!

6. handofseven

handofseven Soaking up the cathode rays...

Mar 23, 2010
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Savage! That looks like a lot of fun. Please post wiring diagrams!

7. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    JB PLayer! I haven't seen any of their instruments in a long time. They were formally known as Hondo.

I had a Hondo II P bass once. After I swapped out the pickups and hardware it sounded very good.

8. SwagAttack

SwagAttack

Sep 14, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    Ya, I didn't know anything about it when I bought it. But when I got it, I liked that the neck isn't as wide as a typical ray, it is more like a Jazz. I do have a Hondo warlock knockoff that I am working on. Cheap basses that can be players with a little help.

9. Looks good.:)

10. Our local music store sells jbp. Including mm copies. The 5 string is like 250 new.

11. pocketgroove

pocketgroove

Jun 28, 2010
    Detroit
    That's really neat! I've been contemplating getting a cheap MM copy and modding it lately, but one of the things that stands out to me most about real Sting Rays is the feel of the neck. I can't imagine an inexpensive copy having a neck that feels anything like a real Sting Ray, which has kind of been a big reason not to go that route, and to save my pennies for the real deal. That being said, how is the neck in yours, and what could you compare it to?

12. SwagAttack

SwagAttack

Sep 14, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    Ya, you won't get the real nice feeling of a SR neck, but that can be overcome by just finding a cheap bass and trying the neck first. I have a SUB, I am not sure how it compares to the SR neck (maybe the same or completely different), and the copy I got is more of a jazz neck, so a lot thinner at the nut. I can play any neck, doesn't bother me too much, but I do prefer smaller necks, so it fit me perfectly.