Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

RBI as a dedicated Pre...which master volume to use?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bazzanderson, Oct 9, 2005.

1. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I din't know if this thread should go in effects or amps. Question....I've been cranking the Level to 100% to drive my power amp. In doing this it seems I might be limiting the versatility of the RBI. How many of you who use the RBI turn your power amp volume to 100% and use the RBI Level as master? Does this work better or does it really matter?

Thx,
    -Bazz-

2. If I'm not mistaken, it is the convention to max your power amp and use your pre to set your overall level. From what I've read, it provides with the most headroom.

3. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Aha! Well....I'll try this on Tuesday at my next rehearsal. I was getting a decent sound maxing the Level and using the Power amp gain as master but I noticed I couldn't do much tweaking without unwanted noise or even too much bass and drive. Cool. Anyone else?

-Bazz-

4. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    There is a drawback to this, the signal/ noise ratio goes up. When I use the RBI as a pre I typically keep the output of the pre at about 11:00 to 12:00. The rest I controll from the amp. Try all these combinations to see what works for you.

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

+1

6. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Gotcha. Thanks for the replies/suggestions. I'll try them Tuesday.
    -Bazz-

7. I set my power amp volume at around 80% or 90% and then use the RBI's level control as my master volume.

8. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX

Thanks, Dave. Gonna try that (80% to 90%) here in about an hour.
    -Bazz-

9. So, how'd it go?

10. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Much better. Before I had to cut bass treb and mids to about 9:30am for all and the sound was still muddy/too bassy. Now with the power amp at 90% I seem to have more eq tweak room. Bass, treb and mids are all at 12pm, Drive around 10:30 and presence at 9am. This is the tone I was expecting from the RBI.

My band didn't show last night (I'm always last to know when rehearsal is cancelled) so I won't be able to try with a band setting until tonight but I think it will work out much better (and cut through without being too bassy).

Thanks for everyone's advice!
    -Bazz-

11. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I generally ran my poweramp wide open and then adjusted volume w/the level of the RBI. Lots of tonal shaping options.