Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

RBI as a preamp (please help)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ahhhson, Jun 10, 2003.

1. Ahhhson

Ahhhson Guest

Jun 5, 2003
    ALBANY NY 518
    So tonight i did a little experiment with my amp to see (as close as possible) what it would be like to have an RBI as a preamp with a power amp.

I currently have an 800rb and a reg. sansamp box. I brought down all the eq on the amp and with the blend of the sansamp all the way up it still changes the sound. Thats besides the point. When i took the boost down it cut my volume and power more than half! Even when i bring up the levels on the sansamp i cant match it.

SO my question is, will this same thing happen if i use an RBI as my sole preamp with a power amp such as the OSC1850HD ?
    Please help

2. Ahhhson

Ahhhson Guest

Jun 5, 2003
    ALBANY NY 518
    PLEASE

3. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Dude i'd love to help but the one time I tried using an RBI into a power amp, I thought it sucked. So I tried a yamaha pre-amp and that sucked too. So did the small mackie mixing desk.

As soon as I plugged into a standard bass head, everything felt much better. This is just my opinion, keep the 800RB.......

4. What you need to do is bypass the preamp section of your GK. Plug the SABDDI into the effects return of your 800RB.

If I understand you correctly you plugged your bass into the SABDDI with the blend all the way up and then plugged that into the input of your amp. You then turned all your EQ knobs completely counter-clockwise. Now it's been a while since I've had a GK head but I believe that to set the EQ flat the knobs should be set to 12 o'clock. So, by turning the knobs all the way to the left you are cutting the bass, mids and highs. That is why it sounded funny.

BTW I use an RBI into a DCM1000 and IMO it rocks.

5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    What ZoomBoy said. Also, a SABDDI does *not* have the same output as an RBI, so judge only the basic tone, not how well it drives your amp. The G-K may or may not be driven to full power out with a SABDDI.

6. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    I use an RBI with a power amp and I love it. THe BDDI I've used in a pinch eith a power amp and, while it sounded decent, was notably lower in output as the others maetioned, If you are going to try this, I would definitely reccomend the RBI. It's designed more specifically for that application.

7. Ahhhson

Ahhhson Guest

Jun 5, 2003
    ALBANY NY 518
    thanks for the help guys. I assume the QSC 1850HD has an effects send and return so i am able to run this operation? or is it just that the RBI is so different than the BDDI?

If this works out ill be saving 200$, by not buying the svt-pro.....

8. Poweramps don't have an effects loop. They have inputs and speaker outputs. You will plug the RBI into one of the amps inputs.

9. Ahhhson

Ahhhson Guest

Jun 5, 2003
    ALBANY NY 518
    ok cool

How do you tell/prevent clipping with no led?

10. Most poweramps have clip lights and built in limiters.....If you are clipping the RBI it's by ear.

11. Ahhhson

Ahhhson Guest

Jun 5, 2003
    ALBANY NY 518
    thanks alot, ill know to look for you when i get this stuff....

12. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    As Zoom said. Listen for clipping. If the QSC has a limiter use it. It will be helpful in speaker protection also.

13. Ahhhson

Ahhhson Guest

Jun 5, 2003
    ALBANY NY 518
    This is gonna crank right? i need huge power/presence...