1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

rbi in an effects loop.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ayliffe, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Ayliffe

Ayliffe

May 8, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    hey guys, me again.

i've been thinking. I decided that since the rbi doesnt have a way of settting a few tones, and switching between them, that i could get a dirty, gritty tone like the one i want from it, and putting it in an effects loop for a head, and using it as a preamp for some overdriven, metal tone.

would it work??

2. will definitely work... you're effectively using it as a distortion effect with some extra eq...

3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

What Son of Bovril said.

The RBI is an amazingly versatile unit. I sometimes use mine as a preamp, and sometimes as an effect. That is, I've used it alone for tone and signal boost, and also behind another preamp as the equivalent of a distortion box. It'll work just fine in an FX loop as well.

4. johnnycat42

johnnycat42

Feb 27, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I jusst bought a power amp to use my PBDDI as a preamp. Is there any real advantage to the RBI over the PBDDI as a dedicated preamp??? <other than the mid control>

5. Ayliffe

Ayliffe

May 8, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    thanks alot guys. :)

6. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    I think it has a higher output to properly drive a poweramp. Don't quote me on that though :p

7. Ayliffe

Ayliffe

May 8, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    to late. :p

8. bassbrock

bassbrock

Feb 20, 2007
    Callahan, FL
    I can vouch that the RBI works fine in an effects loop.

Also, the RBI does have a higher output that is able to clip the input of my power amp vs the BDDI and the PBDDI. Even when set to "Line Level" mode, the output on the pedal versions can be pretty weak compared to the RBI, RPM and other rackmount versions. Just my experience.

By the way, you can apparently daisy-chain two RBI units and use a non-latching footswitch to switch between the two. I'm gonna try and pick up a second one to try this out.

9. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    [QUOTE/]By the way, you can apparently daisy-chain two RBI units and use a non-latching footswitch to switch between the two. I'm gonna try and pick up a second one to try this out.[/QUOTE]

yup, you can also use two at the same time with a 50/50 mix of each... rbi and rpm are wicked when run this way.

JR