1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

RBX-200 Rewiring Volume Pot

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Geodanger25, May 18, 2011.

1. Geodanger25

Geodanger25

May 18, 2011
    Phoenix , AZ
    I got this RBX-200 About 4 years ago and it was broken from the start so I have been playing it unplug for long time. I have a couple of questions about rewiring the pots.

First I know my volume at least i think it is volume pot is totally broken so I know have to replace it but i can't find the exact replacement for it. I was also wondering if i can get a different brand pot. the pot says on the side of it (T015a250K L F) and i will have pictures.

The second question is, I have looked at other pictures of RBX-200s and it seems i have more wiring in my bass I will post some pics and i wanted to know if the bass is wiring right in the first place since this bass has been handed down for the last 20 years it could of been rewired by someone else in the past.

Thank you for any info you can give me.

Attached Files:

2. That's a very standard pot. You should have no trouble finding a replacement.

What is the shaft length and diameter?

3. Geodanger25

Geodanger25

May 18, 2011
    Phoenix , AZ
    I would think it would be pretty standard pot being such a cheap mass produced bass. How would I find out the shaft length or diameter. I am very new at this and am taking this on as like a project.

4. Actually, all you really need to know is the shaft diameter, I just checked your second picture, and it's clear that you will need to order a long-shaft pot.

Do you have a set of calipers on hand? It would be preferable to check the shaft diameter to make sure that your knob will fit the replacement.

5. Geodanger25

Geodanger25

May 18, 2011
    Phoenix , AZ
    OK I will do that. I assume It needs to be 250k what ever that means because the other pot say that as well and i was looking online and alot of pots say 500k what does this means also in one of my pictures the pot says L F at the end what does that mean. Do i Need to worry about this things when picking out the new pot.

6. 250k is the resistance in Ohms. The "a" prefix you mentioned earlier indicates a logarithmic (Audio) taper.

You can use a 500k pot if you want, it will be a touch brighter/hotter, but it's a subtle difference.

7. Geodanger25

Geodanger25

May 18, 2011
    Phoenix , AZ
  8. Geodanger25

Geodanger25

May 18, 2011
    Phoenix , AZ
    Thanks so much i will get the one you posted. I have one more question since i don't know a lot about the actual wiring do you know what that green little thing is that is connecting the two pot together in the first picture.

Also is the tone pot the one on the right supposed to have 3 wires sodered together on top of it. i have not seen that before my friends bass is not wired like mine and he has the same one i seem to have more wires.

9. It's a film capacitor. It's used to pass the high frequency portion of the signal to ground when you roll the tone control down.

The black wires soldered to the pot casing are grounds. The grounding scheme can be different on every bass.

10. Geodanger25

Geodanger25

May 18, 2011
    Phoenix , AZ
    thank you for all your help I'm going to order that part and try to replace it i really appreciate the information you gave me!