1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rbx Jm2...crunch time!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Johnny Steele, Jul 28, 2007.

1. Johnny Steele

Johnny Steele

May 28, 2007
    Right!!! Im terribly sorry to create YET another thread about this bass!! But i am close to picking up the jm2. Ive found a good deal for £550, ( in dollars thats under a thousand im sure) But i REALLY cant afford to regret this choice!

I love John Myung and this bass would be right for me,i think because of the tight string spacing, And i really liked his sound on octavarium and Train of thought

BUT i heard something about the strings clicking of the pickup occasionally, THAT potentially puts me off. as it can be very annoying as you all know!

Basically, im 18 work in BURGER KING and have slaved to earn this money aswel as pay my rent and things, and last minute feedback and opinions, would be REALLY helpful! Oh and if anyone has any news on JM and an EB signature developing, let me know please.

Cheers *deep breath*

2. The "clicking" you hear is because John plays with very low action and then "digs in" - it's very much about his style and has nothing to do with the bass. You'd easily be able to solve it by playing with a lighter touch, raising the action, or doing the old Billy Sheehan (who has the same "low action/digging in" style) by coating the polepieces of the pickup with either clear nailpolish (short term) or whole pickup with a clear epoxy (long term) to stop the physical action of two metal objects touching each other... but I imagine you'd stop it via your playing style before it came to that.

Basically, don't let that be part of your decision. :)

John's finally "officially" with EBMM and has even visited the factory with JP but the Bongo 6 "is not a signature bass (but will be) part of the regular line." He likes the bass just fine as-is, and also is using other basses in their line during the recording process.

I think the biggest question would be "Have you ever played the RBX-JM2 in real life?", because I don't see it mentioned in your post. You state that you "think" it would work for you because of the string spacing but you might very well not like the neck. You also say that you like his tone on ToT and 8VA, but it's very hard to judge the tone of a bass in your hands and equipment from one used on a professionally recorded, mixed, and mastered album. JM has been recording in part with EBMMs since SDOIT as well, so you very well might not be hearing his Yamaha on those albums anyway. ;)

You don't have any info listed in your profile ( :scowl: ) including your location that might help people give advice, but I'd try and find a store that has one in stock so you can try it in real life and see if the bass "fits" you. Also realize that when Yamaha discontinues an instrument, much as they might with JM's signature, they typically clearance them out so you might want to wait and possibly get an even better deal if you've decided you want one.*

Personally, I think a Bongo 5 or 6 is a much better bass even if you have to save more for one but everyone has their individual tastes and if you like the RBX-JM2 better, so be it. Or you can even look around at some of the other six-strings on the market - Ibanez's upper-range SR and BTBs are great basses as an example.

*Then again, I've heard Yamaha hasn't made many JM signatures so there wouldn't be many to sell at clearance prices. Basically, it's a crapshoot waiting for it to drop in price.

3. TheXym

TheXym

Oct 19, 2006
    I had to wait for them to make my RBXJM2 signature, took a few months, so I doubt there'll be any clearance from Yamaha. It's a great bass, the neck is great, imho though to be honest I'm feeling a G.A.S. outbreak for a bongo 6 :)

4. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    A bongo in the UK would cost him more than twice the price of the quoted JM2. In fact, for a six it could be more like 125% of the price.

5. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    The neck may suit you, but beware, I have found the tone to be lacking, sadly!