Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

rbx6jm john myung signature yamaha bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jeff2287, Sep 29, 2002.

1. Jeff2287

Jeff2287

May 4, 2002
    I'm about ready to kill for a john myung signature bass, but I haven't got any money, so I plan on saving up. With that said, how much does an rbx6jm cost and where can I get it? I've looked around a bit but the only one I could find was on ebay for $475 (If I had the money I'd buy it so fast it wouldn't even be funny). Does anyone know?

2. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    Theres a TB memeber thats selling a Jm6er right now. his name is Limo. im pretty sure its still in the classifieds on here

3. Julies Ruined

Julies Ruined

Sep 15, 2002
    You can get it anyplace that sells Yamaha's. They usually cost around 800-900 dollars. Ive heard they arent very good though, through personally I havent played one.

But good luck :)

4. Jeff2287

Jeff2287

May 4, 2002
    Not very good eh? Well, I have to say that I was just a tad bit suspicious when I heard that JM used distortion, but his tone seemed good enough for me to overlook that. Hmm, now that I've mentioned distortion, and now that I have info on where to find rbx6jm and its price (thanx julies), where can I get an affordable effects pedal that isn't a piece of ****e?

5. joejet

joejet

May 1, 2003
    Denmark
    Well, if you find the bass good or bad depends on what you are lookiong for in a bass. But a guy who wants a Myung signature will much likely be playing Dream Theater-like stuff, and for that it's absolutely great (got one yesterday...) - so far!

6. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I've played them and have to say that the TRB6's are much better......

Personally, I'd keep saving my pennies and go for the TRB6..

[​IMG]

7. As a John Myung sig owner I would like to say something:
    Those basses are probably the best 6 string basses out there in that price range.
    You can't compare a TRB with that since they are way more expensive.
    The bass itself has a great, warm tone, 2 great humbuckers in and a lovely neck (wich is ofcourse personal taste)...

I will never get rid of my Myung sig, even though I could afford to get a more expensive bass.

Try some 6 strings out in that price range and than start some 6 strings in general out.
    You will c that it will come out very good.

If you like a bass or not has to do with personal taste ofcourse, but also with the kind of material it is made of etc.
    The bass itself is a good one, if you like it is all up to yourself.

8. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Fair enough...

Having owned and/or extensively played six string basses in that price range, my preferences would be:

1. Hohner B Bass-VI
    2. Ibanez BTB406QM
    3. Yamaha RBX6JM

I'm not saying you're wrong in liking it... If it allows you to express yourself as a bassist then more power to you.

However, don't be fooled into thinking that this bass is exactly what Mr. Myung plays.. Look closely at the Metropolis 2000 concert... There have been mods done to those he plays personally.

[​IMG]

Check the pups... They don't look stock to me... :meh:

9. :D
    I think this has more to do with personal preferences...
    Played the BTB, But IMO it wasn't better at all than the Myung sig...
    I did research on the bass before I bought it and since i am lucky that I know some peeps from Myungs musical surroundings, I can assure you he is playing almost the same one as you can buy in stock...
    I got the same PU btw...

But than again, I think this is more about Personal taste.
    I always advice people to try out more basses to pick the one that fits you the best!

Wendy

10. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Almost huh??

They look interesting... What brand are they? What are the specs on them?

Agreed...

11. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    Had an RBX6 (sold it a few months after buying it).. huge DT fan.. it was a nice bass, looks good, sounded alrightish, but just didn't mesh with it. I much prefer my BTB6.

12. Just make sure you try one before you buy. They've got very tight string spacing, and I don't like that, personally. You might, though.

13. isn't Myung playing a new Yamaha with a musicman pickup? I saw a pic somewhere.

14. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Yeah, but it's not publicly available yet.

15. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
  16. otnemeM

otnemeM

Oct 29, 2002
    Ovar, Portugal
    though i don't own one I played it and like it.

myung in the last part of the metropolis tour (err almost only in DVD footage as a matter of fact) did not play a stock model , BUT! until a very late part of the tour he did use a stok model, ate least it looked like one. And believe me... I saw them live and I've seen lots of video footage (unauthorized :D) to back this statement up :p

the tone: don't be fooled... myung's tone comes from him and the multi-thousand dollar rack he uses ;)

when I played a RBX-JM I still sounded like me (as I always sound like myself whatever the bass I play), I thought the neck was pretty fat although the string spacing was nearly perfect for my taste (although I have pretty big hands).

the TRB or the TRB PII is A LOT more expensive. It's not even on the same league as the RBX JM.

Go for it, but keep this in mind:
    It won't turn you into a Myung... it will turn you into a more-myung-wannabe at best :D

p.s.- the new Myung Sig that he's using looks *SWEET*!

from what I catched it has basslines' MM 6 pup and the design is a lot similar to the 4/5 string model already available. (check yamaha's website)

rock on :bassist:

17. Please check out my ad in the forsale forum.

18. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    Actually it is sold, maybe I should delete the thread in the clasifieds;)

19. Noobai

Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    I get the same tone out of my BTB 405QM.

And its a better bass, and you can get them cheap, I got mine for $400 (sell at round 600-800)