Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

RBX6JM

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by XxBlackOrchidxX, Dec 30, 2003.

1. XxBlackOrchidxX

XxBlackOrchidxX

Dec 23, 2003
    Does anyone have the John Myung signature bass ?
    How is it ?

2. I have one. It's OK.

Pros:
    1. Relatively inexpensive.
    2. Looks "unique" (could also be a con).
    3. Very nice smooth fretboard.

Cons:
    1. Combination of narrow string spacing and big neck profile (could be a pro, matter of personal preference).
    2. Really heavy, uncomfortable to play sitting down.
    3. Finish and construction is sturdy but feels "inexpensive," but not bad for a bass which is mass-produced in Taiwan, IMO.

I often hear people complain that the spacing is to narrow for slapping, but IME it can be managed, although it requires cleaner technique and doesn't feel as "natural" as on something like a Warwick.

And as for the sound, I guess that's also a matter of personal preference. It sounds a little "thin" for my taste but if I EQ it I can get it to sound pretty good. IME the sound has edge and cuts through pretty well.

Try one yourself, and you may like it. It's all about personal preference. I'll probably keep mine, though I intend to change the electronics eventually.

But IMHO, the Peavey Cirrus is WAY cooler. Check it out.

3. Yammy Myungs were deeply discounted before disappearing from major internet retailers, yet strangely to recently reappear in B stock incarnation.

Based on photos of John Myung playing what appeared to be a prototype, the RBX6JM II should have one magnetic pickup and piezo, and should be vastly improved over the current lackluster offering. Or so I hope.

4. whoa, this is the first i've heard about it having a piezo! where'd you get that from?

also, heres more details about the new RBX6JM (from bassplayer interview)

even tighter string spacing (!)

flatter fingerboard

thinner neck

lighter

thats all i remember for now, ill dig out that issue if you wanna know more