Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

RBX6JM

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The Basssment, Sep 17, 2001.

1. Hello low-end groovers!
    Dean here, just got back from checking out the John Myung 6 String bass!
    Being a HUGE Dream Theater fan, I was really looking forward to ripping up and down the board!
    Hmmmmmmm.............was not terribly impressed.
    It seems that there is a difference between the version crafted for Mr. Myung and this "model" assembled and manufactured in Taiwan.
    Electronics were pretty good.....nice usable range of tone. It looks beautiful!!!!..............

But the feel was somewhat lacking! I understand that a "fine tuning" set-up may have negated these anomalies........however, sighting the neck and checking relief/action/intonation etc aside - this bass did not inspire me to "YTSE" jam along!!!!

Hopefully it was just this one bass that is a little below par, and not the entire swag of JM's.

Let us know what you think!

You can find me in the "Bassment"!!!

www.deangaudoin.com

;)

keep it groovy!

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Dean, if you will do a search on John Myung or RBX6JM, you will find that you are not the only one who is not impressed by the JM signature bass.

3. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    I've heard so many bad things about the JM bass. I've heard its very heavy, and the string spacing on those basses are extremely narrow.. God talk about "NO slapping" -_-; I personally do not know what that bass sounds like but I don't recommend playing that bass. I mean, if you have the guts to put up with the weight, and the string spacing and th sound, yeah go for it hehe

:D

4. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Try the Yamaha TRB6P - when I was buying my 6 I tried both the TRB6P and the RBX6JM - no contest. The TRB6P is better in all respects. However, I thought the RBX had a "faster" neck.

5. Berme

Berme

May 11, 2001
    Spain
    i definitively do not like this bass. And it´s my bass. Extremely heavy, no one could like this thing. The narrow space between strings is ok for the left hand, but really annoying for the right hand (i discovered this recently). It´s a 35", which i don´t like. It sounds awful, i should change inmediately the pickups and the preamp. Bad fretwork, so it´s hard to put very low action, so tapping is harder:mad:. I´m a great DT fan too, so i bought this bass because of its low price, a good thing. However, there are very few 6-string basses better than this for the price (maybe Peavey Cirrus, or Ibanez SR406, other Yamaha RBX).

6. embellisher

The Peavey Cirrus blows it out of the water. Of course, it costs quite a bit more than the $699 I have been seeing the JM for lately.

It is better than the Ibanez SR406, but the BTB406 blows it away too.

I also like the Cort Curbow 6 better.

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, the BTB lays waste to the RBX6JM....I didn't particularly think it was great either...

8. fireblademalc

fireblademalc

Mar 24, 2005
    Far too many anal retentives have voiced an opinion denigrating Yamaha's RBX6JM. I have owned and played one (live) for several months and frankly can't find anything to criticise !!! It sounds great for all genres of music and is eminently playable (unless of course you're a puny dwarf in which case it will seem heavy and awkward).
    I also play a TRB6JP, TUNE GAP618, TUNE BEB6, OVERWATER PROGRESS ELITE FRETLESS 6, FINCH CUSTOM 6, and whilst it is far from equal to these, it nevertheless compares favourably (particularly at the price), and I heartily recommend it as a players instrument.

9. Tryxx

Tryxx Sputnik Forums: Bass Mod

Jun 1, 2005
    Hurst, Texas.
    I loved the first model, the one I played was a teal colour with that niftly little inlay in the fretboard, with two pups. I thought that bass was great. Most people I know say that one blows the second model out of the water.

10. I had an RBX6JM once, sold it recently. It was great as a first 6-stringer, but nothing compared to the competition in that pricerange IMO. I bought because I wanted to try playing 6-string, and the price was right at the time.

And compared to my recently aquired Modulus OB6, well let's just say that the RBX6JM is OK for it's price, but it's nothing to cheer about in my bag.

To quote Cartman:

"I'm up here (raises arm), you guys are down here (lowers arm).

Me nah (again raises arm), you guys, nah (in a quieter voice, lowering his arm)."

11. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Wow. 4 years. Pretty good. Care to try for 5?

12. embellisher

I'm sure there is probably another RBX6JM thread older than this one.

13. Jake15

Jake15

Jan 17, 2001
    USA, PA
    I just picked up a teal Fretless RBX6JM John Myung Sig from Guitar Center last week. It plays extememly well and I've never had a bass with such low action. The thing about it is I've not been able to find out anything about a fretless model online. I'm wondering if this was done to the bass on the aftermarket. Anybody who knows about these basses please let me know.

14. There are no fretless rbxjms, maybe someone defretted. When myung played fretless, he played a yamaha fretless trb.

15. Jake15

Jake15

Jan 17, 2001
    USA, PA
    Does defretting a bass take away from it value cashwise? I payed $850 for the RBXJM6 and its in really great shape (One or two dings at the most).