1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

RBX6JM

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by macku, Mar 15, 2008.

1. macku

macku

Jan 31, 2008
    Hi everybody ;)

I wonder what pepole think about John myungs first signature the RBX6JM beacause i would love to buy one.
    But what do the intelligent pepole of Talkbass think ?

// From the Confused Swed Marcus

2. Ayliffe

Ayliffe

May 8, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    A friend of mine has one, it sounds great, plays great (if he would fix the action it'd be even better) but they don't make em anymore, so you'll have to get one off of ebay or something.

3. macku

macku

Jan 31, 2008
    Yeah .. i know that I need to buy a used one but thanks for your opinion :D

4. Diego

Diego

Dec 9, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    I used to own one. Nice bass, very heavy IMO. Another think I did not liked very much is that the body edges were not rounded. The neck was fast, with low action and I liked the ebony board. The electronics were OK, nothing to write home about. I've always thought that the TRB series were far better voiced...In the woods department...well, it delivers the good old tone of alder with a maple neck and ebony board...nice combination of woods (tonewise) IMHO. Hardware was of good quality, all brass I believe. Very standard though (design wise, not quality wise).

String spacing is also tighter than the TRB series which you may or may not like.

I sold mine because of the weight issues, lack of rounded edges (which made it uncomfortable when playing sitting down) and because of the voicing of the electronics. You can always swap them with something else though...

If you find it to be comfortable in your hands I think is one of the best bangs for the buck ebay finds in terms of a good quality sixer. I have always thought that Yamaha instruments are very good (their top of the line instruments are superb in verey aspect) and often, their overall quality is understated.

5. Diego

Diego

Dec 9, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Another thing I forgot to mention...I am not quite sure but I seem to recall that Todd Johnson owned one of these (modded), you could ask him (I might be wrong though...). He is a TB member and there is an "ask Todd Johnson" forum here on TB.

6. macku

macku

Jan 31, 2008
    Thanks for the good information. The bass sound like the best bass for me beacause I like to play standing up and I like tighter string spacing on basses.
    Just pray to a higher might that I will find a nice used one.

7. Yup - I recall an old BP article with Todd Johnson using an RBX6JM set up with either a MIDI or V-Bass pickup. It was his main player until he moved to Zon.

- :eek:

8. Rico_2212

Rico_2212

Jul 6, 2004
    Dietzenbach, Germany
    Peavey Amps Club #64
    I've had mine for about 4 years and still love it. Yes, the weight is a major issue (I'm not young and in great shape by any means),
    and once in a while my wrists cramp up from the 35" scale length.
    But the electronics are very versatile and I can get far more sounds than I need out of it. Staight in the amp or the board it is a very transparent bass. Crisp highs, clean mids, and low end that can pulverize concrete. The classifieds in the new issue of "Bass Professor" one is available. Check it out on their website.