Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

RBX765A

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ColonelClaypool, Oct 28, 2004.

1. ColonelClaypool

ColonelClaypool

Apr 17, 2004
    Hey,

I've decided to go ahead and buy a 5-string after using a friend's 5 for a day or two.

I picked up a RBX765A for a decent price on Ebay, and from a seller I've dealt with before, so I'm expecting a good product.

Anyway, I was just wondering from other people that have this bass (or used to own one), what the controls were?

Thanks.

2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    RBX765? Never even heard of 'em. I'm familiar with the 775, and I've mulled over the 735, but I've never encountered a 765. I'll be interested in these developments as well!

Any pics?

3. The 765 was the older model RBX... I have to say I liked the older RBXes more than the 775 etc, especially the 765 and the JM.

4. Hi all.
    I do have an RBX765A. Bought it maybe 6-8 years ago. I actually really like the bass. I use it as a backup, and for smaller shows.

It came in transluscent red, blue, or green stain. It's got an alder body with an ash veneer top, bolt-on maple neck with a rosewood fretboard, 2 Yamaha humbuckers, all gold hardware, active electronics with a master volume, pan, bass, and treble. Really doesn't sound bad at all. Got a slightly wider neck (18mm) than the Ibanez-types and my Conklin Groove Tools (17mm), but not as wide as my custom Conklins (19mm).

Overall, I'd recommend it. Never had a problem with it, and the sound is pretty good. Hope that helps!

5. Bass, treble, pan ( with centre detent ) and volume.
    I've got a transparent red one that I bought new about six years ago and it still plays and sounds great. Just remember to unplug the bass when you are not using it as when the plug is inserted it switches the active pre-amp on. You'll flatten your battery in no time if you forget to do this.
    Keep a fresh 9 volt battery in your case too, 'cause the bass gives no sound at all when the battery's flat!

6. BassGyver

BassGyver

Jun 29, 2004
    Belgioum
    It's my main 5 strings bass. I even play it more than my Warwick Thumb bass. One of the reasons for that is that the RBX765 has a nice 18mm string spacing at the bridge, leaving enough place for right hand playing. Very versatile sound, and good sounding electronics. I love it :cool:

7. IMO you can never go wring with Yamaha, they are very well built basses, I played a few of'em, and I loved everyone of'em.
    I say go for it.

8. Syzygy

Syzygy

Mar 29, 2005
    I'm a newer bass player and just recently bought a RBX765A. Is this a good bass for those who are learning?

9. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    What the heck? No pictures? What's with this thread?

Yamaha basses are great -- very underrated. Check out the Yamaha appreciation thread here in Basses.

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I would love to see pics :) Yamaha basses definitely are great players, underrated for sure. I like that all of them have a similiar look, kinda like the ibanez soundgears except cooler. If anyone is ever considering an ibanez id easily suggest yamaha first.

11. Syzygy

Syzygy

Mar 29, 2005
    Only problem is I have a terrible digital camera and my scanner doesn't work...otherwise I would gladly post a pic. It is Translucent red finish and gold hardwear. Plays better than my first bass which I borrowed from my uncle. Lots of fret buzz on that one...I have to say, only having this bass for a while, I love it!

12. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    ohh, i was going to ask the colo,r, yes i know what it looks like.

13. Here's an OLD family portrait......Sans the 2 Custom Conks.... The RBX is the green on the right. Great bass for the price. Love it!

[​IMG]

14. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    by right do you mean left?

15. Syzygy

Syzygy

Mar 29, 2005
    By the way... Does anybody in here have any good tips to help me learn...It's kinda slow going. Anything you have to say would be much appriciated :)

16. I have an RBX 765 in green stain. It's a nice bass. Once I strung it with DR lo riders it was really fun to play. My only gripe is the frets are big. They're really tall but don't get me wrong. I really like it. It sounds pretty good too. I've heard of people putting EMG electronics and pickups in theirs with great results. I've never had the cash to do that but I sure would if I could.

17. My kid had a 760a, the 4 string version. Pretty nice bass. I bout it at a pawn shop for her for $200 and sold it on ebay for a little more when she decided she didn't like it. I thought it was a great starter.

18. I've got a 760A, the 4 string version of the 765A.

IIRC, the controls are volume, pan, bass, and treble. (It's a backup bass, i don't use it much)

19. Syzygy

Syzygy

Mar 29, 2005
    Anybody know a good place to find a hard case for the 765A? I'm hoping to get one, but need to know where to find it.