1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

RC-2 - am i being an idiot?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by behndy, Oct 24, 2009.

1. behndy

behndy Banned

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    hey there TB.

so.... i used to have a Line6 DL4 in my pedalboard, but then realized i was only using it for looping.... and in the interests of economy of space (more room = more pedals right?) i was VERY interested in getting a Boss or smaller sized pedal to do the loopage for me. the RC-2 looked neat.

i went down to my local (good, NON-GC) music store the other day. Starving Musician. love 'em. the staff are all geeks that don't get attitudes when they talk to you and will have actual BOTH PEOPLE GETTING A TURN conversation when you start rambling about minuscule differences in gear. good stuff.

i spent some time with the RC-2 they had in stock. could NOT get it to work as just a looper. without a drum beat coming thru. i was going to ask if they had played with it or to look at the manual but the Moogerfooger Bass Murf distracted me. dammnit Bob Moog. your legacy lives on. and it is awesome and frightful for other companies.

anyways... am i being a goof? i just want something to run one loop while i play over it. i have a drummer and software where i write the glitchy beats, so i don't really want the silly beats that are in the pedal. this thing CAN be used just for basic looping right?

also, if anybody has a suggestion on a as-small-as-this-or-smaller looper that would be fanTAStic. i would LOVE an MXR sized pedal that was just a basic two-tap single looper. i really want some as un-fancy as possible. un...fancible? Firefox tells me that's not a word... but i don't know if i trust them.

thanks much!

-0behn desu0-

2. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    The manual is long and the pedal takes LOTS of practice to get it right.
    If you turn down the knob for the drum loops, you can loop normally.
    Yes, it can be 'just a looper'.

3. behndy

behndy Banned

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    you know....... RIGHT after i posted the first thing i wondered about that..... again...... VERY distracting Moogerfooger.

that.... um..... now is safely at my house.....

do you know any other tiny-feature/tiny-footprint loopers that are worth checking out?

thanks!

-0behn desu0-

4. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    That's the first I've heard of that happening.

Especially with a concentric volume control for the phrase and guide - which is of course the rhythm track - the guide beside the 4/4 and notes highlighted should have tipped you off.

[​IMG]

5. behndy

behndy Banned

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    yep. that makes sense. like i said, was only with it a bit before i got distracted and no manual. i'm sure it was just me not really knowing what i was doing with it, not a problem with the pedal itself. they DO jam a lot of stuff onto a sorta small pedal.

thanks for the condescending tone in the reply tho!

-0behn desu0-

6. Green Mind

Green Mind

Aug 28, 2007
    BC/AB, Canada
    Looks like you've solved your problem but I just chime in and support the RC-2. The only other looper I've used is a Jam Man which of course has tons more space and features but the RC-2 does exactly what it should and is easy to use. Hit once to record and again to stop. Double tap to stop the loop. Hold to undo the last thing you recorded. The ability to save loops is just a miracle when it comes to writing/remembering music too.

7. grovest

grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    I love the RC-2. I shouldn't have sold mine, but maybe it is thrilling its new owner... that would make me happy. :D I found the first few nights of using it and playing over your own lines to be a truly enlightening experience. And yeah, maybe the word 'guide' for the inner left knob could have been more intuitively labeled 'drum' or 'click'.

A cool pedal, but so is the Moogerfooger.

8. behndy

behndy Banned

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    yeah...... it seems like a neat little beast. i'm a little wary of pedals that try to put too much into too small a space.... but i just read through the manual and it looks like it's pretty well laid out.

thanks for all the help!

so, nobody knows of any even SMALLER looper pedal? i loveeeeee the MXR sized boxes.

thanks again!

-0behn desu0-

9. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    The only thing smaller is the ZVex Lo Fi Loop Junky, which will function as a "normal" performance looper. I'm surprised they were able to cram everything for the RC-2 into a standard Boss enclosure. You've gone crazy man- who's ever heard anyone ever say "my Boss pedal is just way too big" :D :D

10. behndy

behndy Banned

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    B-Tye! what it IS!!!

MUST... FIT... MORE.... PEDALLLLLLLS!!!!

SOME of us don't have a MusicImLab super-switcher thing yet and still have to be csreful with our pedalboard layout :p

i won't be happy until every pedal is the size of a footswitch with an audio in and an audio out!!

WHERE ARE MY FLYING CARS!??!?

-0behn desu0-

11. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    behndy's next pedalboard:
    [​IMG]

12. behndy

behndy Banned

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    gods...... i LOVE that thing...... but, isn't it a pain to rehouse the pedals every time G.A.S. hits and you have to try something else?

.... actually..... if i ever end up in your neck of the woods i might just have to jack YOUR pedalboard.

how'ya like THEM apples?

-0behn desu0-

13. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I think I'd notice you taking it when you get to the point of needing to ask me to help you carry it :D

14. behndy

behndy Banned

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    sigh....... it's like that one time i got car-jacked and they were nice enough to give me a ride home on their way to do horrible things to my car.

.... that didn't happen.

i..... think i just helped hijack my own thread. WIN.

yeah.... how much DOES that monstrosity (meant in a VERY good way) thing you play through weigh?

-0behn desu0-

15. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    Chicago - LA - Rome - Dallas
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz
    get external footswitches. I made 2 for my rc-2 and use them all the time now.

16. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Around 50lbs, so it's lighter than it looks.

Now back to looping with you!

17. behndy

behndy Banned

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    what do you use/recommend? i've heard good things about the Moog Mp-1. i DO like the price too.

thanks.

-0behn desu0-

18. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Never heard of a Moog MP-1 :confused:

19. behndy

behndy Banned

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    Notorious T.Y.L.E.R. - huh...... only 50 lbs.... hmmmm.... no, no i can swing that. my wife's like 17 lbs heavier than that and i can lug her around most places.

really, i just want to steal your MusicOmLab thing. the rest is super-neat, but that is the boobies.

Chicago_Mike - i just read what i said and that seems silly now. you're talking about momentary switching? did you make something with a couple different switches on it or separate pedals with switches?

-0behn desu0-

20. behndy

behndy Banned

Nov 1, 2008
    California