Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

rc-20 vs. dl4

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by coffee-sipper, Jul 28, 2004.

1. coffee-sipper

coffee-sipper

Jul 10, 2003
    Raleigh NC
    Has anyone AB'd these? I have had the RC-20 for half a year. All in all I really like it. I am thinking of reworking my pedal rig to include a delay and like the idea of killing 2 birds with one stone. What are the advantages of the DL4 over the RC-20. I really don't need all the looping time the RC-20 has.

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Yes, you can find people on both sides of the fence. I think the dl4 sounds cold and brittle, which is why I bought the RC20, but there are many that would disagree. The Boss gigadelay would work for you too, has something like a 26second loop time IIRC. There is a thread on it here in effects.

3. coffee-sipper

coffee-sipper

Jul 10, 2003
    Raleigh NC
    Hi Blisshead.

I just heard EH is reissuing the 16 second delay! I read that it will have 4 minutes of looping built into the updated version. I understand though the price will be around 400 bones. If you have heard the old one I'd give it a listen. I'm going to sell my current RC-20 and save up for the limited run EH.

Oh, it also looks like it might be able to sync with a drum machine (it has a MIDI connector) - I am not sure though. Looks like it'll be cool.

4. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Yeah, there's a rather hilarous video demo of the new EH 16-sec delay over at Harmony Central.

5. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I should be able to offer an opinion soon... I have a DL4 and my RC-20 should arrive today! :)

The DL4 has all kinds of great delay effects, but the sucky thing is that you can't use most of them while looping.

6. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Cool, I'll have to check it out. I'm am currently waiting for an RC-20XL though, as an echoplex just costs to much.

7. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Dagnabbit, of course the RC20XL would come out as soon as I buy an RC20... :mad:

8. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    well, if you decide to upgrade, at least youll be able to get a good resale price since its brand new

9. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I tried a dl4 today and was well impressed it took me seconds to get some solo bass going, I was very happy but I too also know about the RC20XL so i though best not to buy until i've tried both (not interested in the rc20 any more) but with the delays and things in the dl4 I might end up with both, the dl4 sounded fantastic to me, even in 24sec mode maybe I need to try the gigadelay but I really see a dl4 in my future.

10. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Ok, now that I have both, I'll post something meaningful. :)

In spite of the similarity in the features (I won't bother going into the differences), the RC20 and DL4 are VERY different animals with different strengths and weaknesses.

Both have features that I personally could do without. The "guide" beat on the RC20, for instance, is awful.

The RC20 is set up to be a dedicated looper and it does this pretty well. The switches are a lot easier to use for pedal-based looping - I found it took a little more time to get used to the DL4.

The sample rate of the DL4 is obviously higher - but sample rate tends to affect high end more than low end. Whether or not it's due to this, the DL4 has more of a "sterile" sound to it, to my ears anyway.

Some of the buttons on the RC20 are annoyingly hard to get at, thus making it practically impossible to do such things as reverse loops and switch to other recorded loops on the fly. The four switches on the DL4 and overall larger size make it a tad easier to do.

Most of the delay effects on the DL4 sound pretty good and are easy enough to use given the size of the unit. If you don't use delay, you might be better off with the RC20 as it is set up to be a looper and nothing but.

Probably more stuff to mention, but can't think of it for now. If anyone has any specific questions, PM me and I'll try to answer them. :)

11. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    well, you can get external footswitches for the reverse and phrase loop selection. my yamaha sustain pedal actually works for this

12. What is the "guide" beat? Is it a kick drum?

I've got the BOSS ME-50B and am really getting into the looping. I get the kick drum going and then start building from there, BUT it only has 2.8 seconds of looping time and you can't use any of the delays or modulations.

So how about any of the other loopers,... do they have guide beats?

I know some of you think that guide beats are a waste of time but for now I think that's what I want to use.

13. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    no, it's a click.

Personally, I like having it there (you can turn the volume of it down while recording, and work off the led). But you can only set the tempo with the tap function, which can make it tough to sync up exactly if you're recording in drum loops from an external source.

14. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    The guide beat on my rc20 is actually a kick drum, not a click.

15. coffee-sipper

coffee-sipper

Jul 10, 2003
    Raleigh NC
    Actually it is both. You can change it to a click or a drum. I just sold my rc-20 so I can buy the rc-20xl - therefore I don't have the manual to describe how to change it from drum to click.

BTW the market is still good for the rc-20 so sell them now while they are still worth something. I sold mine with an adapter for 249. I took a little loss but not too bad and the new owner got a good deal so we both made out.

16. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Must be configurable, and I must have never bothered to configure that part :)

I just sold my RC-20 for $225, in anticipation of rc-20xl - considering MF have them new for $250 I think I did ok!

17. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    The guide beat is a cheesy-sounding beat that goes "kick-kick-kick-snare". From what others say you can change it to a click, but haven't tried it myself.

The guide beat is useful if you want it strictly as that - a guide. But it sounds pretty bad and is probably not something you would want to use as an actual drum beat in a song context.

The RC20 is the only pedal-based looper I know of that has a guide beat, but I could be mistaken.

As for the RC20/RC20XL differences, they aren't as major as I thought they might be. 4 minutes is enough loop time for me, and though the Undo function would be cool, I've gotten used to not having it with the DL4...

18. So you can't get a continual KICK?