1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

RCA Tube WOW!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bakeronbass, Aug 18, 2007.

1. bakeronbass

bakeronbass

Apr 3, 2007
    Humboldt Ca
    Endorsing Artist; Schroeder Cabinets
    I decided to take a chance on a NOS RCA tube 1950's 12AX7A.
    Man am I glad I did. I wasnt expecting much difference since I already changed the stock sovtech out in my SWR grand prix with a Groove Tube and it made a subtle change. So I did the remember what this sounds like test when I swithed in the RCA. The difference was night and day. Like from using your computer speakers as mains to getting a set of mackies difference. Much clearer more articulate with lots of transients and more gain.
    My wife even said wow that sounds better.

Almost makes me think that the tubes I had were broke or something. Any one have similiar experiences?

2. DaveMcLain

DaveMcLain

Jun 19, 2005
    Cuba MO
    The Sovtek 12AX7WA and WB's are used because they sound ok, are quiet and reliable. They don't perform anywhere close to an old RCA or Sylvania 12AX7 in many circuits and I've had similar results. With this in mind it's interesting to note that many of the newer tube circuit designs are done with the Sovtek style 12AX7's in mind and sound just fine with the Sovtek's.

3. paulraphael

paulraphael

Apr 13, 2006
    Brooklyn
    If you heard me play, you'd stop reading what I write.
    Yeah, I'm a big fan of RCA tubes. I don't have them in my bass amp right now, but I've gone through lots of different ones in my stereo, including some pretty sought-after, expensive ones from the '50s that I borrowed from a friend. Lucky for me, my favorites are some totally non-exotic RCAs from the '70s. Not expensive at all ... they just happen to sound good to me in my equipment.

If you can find a friend who's a tube head, you're life will be easy ... just borrow a bunch and try them. Ebay can serve the same purpose, but you might end up becoming a dealer!