Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

RCHP really ...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Munjibunga, May 29, 2001.

1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Sucks.

OK, this isn't going to be one of those irrational rants. I'll detail it out, and you'll come away agreeing. I saw them again on TV tonight, and they sucked worse than before. OK, here's the reasons:

1. They really blow.
    2. They play out of pitch.
    3. They play out of time.
    4. Their tone really blows.
    5. Their lyrics really blow.
    6. They need decent haircuts.
    7. They are not good instrumentalists.
    8. Their tone really blows.

OK. Now there's one thing that I could use from their act. If I moved about one tenth as much as Flea, my wife would quit saying, "Why don't you move around on stage a little more?" But that's it. What in the hell is the attraction? Flea moves like David Byrne on meth.

don't hurt me

PS Oh yeah.

9. They sing out of pitch.

2. bumpcity

bumpcity

May 12, 2001
    NYC
    Hmm, what have we forgotten...oh yea, how about the fact that they write innovative songs that incorporate different styles in a way that was never done before them, many people try to duplicate it, and simply can't? When you play songs that are just hard to play, it's often very tough to make the live shows sound like your album.

I don't think it's fair to say that RHCP "SUCK" for that. Music in the 1990's hasn't been the same since blood sugar sex magick, the next time you put out an album like that, then you have the right to start judging RHCP. It would be far more fair to say something to the effect that you are disappointed by their live performance. A blanket statement that someone "SUCKS" is loaded, and unfair. I don't think the ultimate criterium to judge a band on is their live performance...what about all the great albums and songs that touch peoples lives? Oh yea writing those, that's easy. I'm gonna put that on my "to do" list for tomorrow...

Just my $0.02. I have been disappointed by RHCP live too, but I think saying that they "suck" because of that is going too far...

3. ToolChick

ToolChick Guest

May 26, 2001
    Sacramento, California
    RCHP may not be able to put on a good live show, but (and I think I have more than a few people backing me up here) even if they're less than spectacular live, they make up for it with their albums. RCHP is a pretty damn innovative band for our time, and they're talented on their instruments too. I'd rather have that any day than the weak melodys and hollow lyrics that the radio seems to be pushing on us lately. Some really crappy bands can have a great, energetic live show, but I'll stick with the quality music instead.

4. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    i reckon bands should put their live performances first rather than their studio efforts - it worked for The Who, didn't it ? but i've been a rabid fan of the chilis since 1994 and man, they still kick it out ... i really don't quite understand why Frusciante's and Flea's guitars sound so crappy live. they have some pretty good techs as i understand it, so i can only put it down to them trying to annoy people or something :D

5. I saw them live on VH1 and anthony didn't sing well at all. I was disappointed. But they DON'T suck. Go buy Blood Sugar Sex Magic or Californication and then you can say what you want. You still may not like them, but it's unfair to say they suck.

The fact that you think they need decent haircuts has nothing to do with their musical ability. Quit whining.

They aren't good instrumentalists? Chad Smith is one of the best drummers in rock music today. John F., although I think heroin has taken its toll on his guitar playing, is still an excellent guitarist.

Flea's exessive moving around is just for theatrical purposes. I don't think he does that in the studio.. why don't you go buy one of their albums?

And you may think that their lyrics blow, but I think they're great. Perhaps you haven't heard many red hot chili peppers songs (Suck my Kiss doesn't count as a song with "good" lyrics, but they're entertaining!:D).

6. Mmmm, I could go on about how you should say that you THINK they suck, and it's only your opinion (my friends usually annoy me when I say something is ugly ("YOU think it's ugly")), and that would be true. But it's not really an issue is it? There are a lot of people who like the RHCP, so I don't even know why you feel you should bring this up.
    And besides that, Flea has been an inspiration for a lot of bassists, so he must be doing something right.

7. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    And so has Fieldy....
    I agree with Tones. It's nice that a band can do all kinds of neat things in the studio(like sing in tune), but if they can't do it live, my respect for that band drops considerably. Take Pink Floyd for example. They have some crazy stuff on their albums, yet they put on an incredible show complete with all the fancy tape loops and synth sounds.

8. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    That's not quite fair to all the thousands of great rock drummers out there. Chad Smith can hold a groove pretty damn tight, but he's nothing spectacular.
    Oh, boy. He's probably one of the crappiest famous & respected guitarists I've heard in a long time. You HAVE heard his solo on "Californication", right?

9. Why they didn't stick with Dave Navarro is beyond me. Maybe they wanted someone who could play guitar to match the vocals. ;)

10. How long has this band been around? Shouldn't they be able to put on a good show by now?

As far as their albums, even the magic of the multi-million dollar recording studio isn't enough to fix Anthony Keidis' horrific intonation.

11. FLEABITE

FLEABITE

Apr 13, 2001
    Kent, England.
    This makes me angry!
    I've said it before and I'll say it again...
    Complexity does not = qaulity music
    Simplicity does not = poor music

Yes, the solo is simple but it's played with FEELING!!

As for the live issue...
    Anthony's vocals are out of tune, yes.
    Out of time, no
    Poor musicianship, no- since they NEVER play any song the same live, they always jam. IMO this makes for a good and entertaining live experience.
    Poor tone, yes.

That said, can you really judge the band ENTIRELY on their live performance?

12. man i hate frusciante. i don't know about flea, but john's tone really does blow, even on recordings.

i think chad smith is boring as hell. definitely not one of the best drummers in ANYTHING today.

13. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    IMHO listening to them is like watching flies fornicate. FLAME ON!!!!

Mike

14. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Call me an idiot, (and I'm sure some of you will), but I really like the RHCP. I've seen them live a couple of times and both times the show was excellent. Anthony Kiedis? Kedies? whatever is, admittedly not the best technical vocalist in the world but I don't really care. They have a purpose in my world anyway.

15. No, I have to use (hategear's?) the instantly-classic statement here:

IMHO listening to them is like masterbating with a cheese grater.

:D

FF

16. This is just my belief, but since theyve started way back when theyre recordings have gotten much better butter their live efforts have gone down hill. As far as the songwriting, Chad Smith and Flea seem to be the only two real inspired forces in the band. I also have to agree that they were doing good with dave navarro and the idea that they did not connect musically is a fallacy known to anyone who has heard "One Hot Minute". I thought they produced beautifull music and had hoped they would continue. In general theyve been deteriorating since their paramount "Blood Sugar Sex Magic" and I think their last album was garbage. I saw them live right after they put out mothers milk and they were amazing. I also saw a saturday night live with them around the same time and it was fantastic. When i saw them last year they blowed and I was really dissapointed.

On a side note, has anyone heard anything from dave navarros solo project. I heard a new song from him on the radio yesterday and it was amazing.

17. The Red Hot Chili Peppers are one of my favorite bands and I would love to see them live. I think Flea is an amazing bass player, especially since he has developed an entirely different style than the average rock player. I also like John, too. If you get Mother's Milk (first album with Frusciante in '88) you'll realize how great off a guitarist he was, and personally, I still like his playing today. I also like their lyrics, especially the more personal songs like "I Could Have Lied" or "Knock Me Down". And about Dave Navarro, I really like his playing but I don't think he meshed witht the band as well as John. The Red Hot Chili Peppers are about jamming to create songs and jamming live, and Navarro just wasn't that kind of guitar player. I don't know why you would make a post about this though, I don't make a post about every band that I don't like. I mean you're entitled to your opinion, but making a post like this is stupid, in my opinion of course. :)

18. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    ROCK ON!!!

19. I don't think the suck but I know they bore me, their tone, their singing and their grooves just don't grab me.

20. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Yes, but...

Playing a song note-perfect from a record does not = poor music, just as
    Self indulgent off key masturbation does not = good music.

A band I was once in, when we were all starting off, used to jam for hours, with the intention of getting our hapless rhythm guitarist into playing lead. We jammed for hours. We never played the same song twice. We were ****ing awful.

And no, you can't judge a band entirely on live performances - the most obvious examples are the Beatles and the Beach Boys, who never performed their best work live. However, if a band has been playing for three decades now and tours the world, don't you think that they should play to a certain standard live?