1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

RD Artist

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by bassfart, Jul 31, 2012.

1. bassfart

bassfart

May 5, 2008
    Hey Justin, I would like know what you think about your Gibson RD Artist, and how it plays and sounds? Would you choose it over a P bass, or is it for a specific sound that you are after? I had an opportunity to trade a '73 P bass for an RD Artist, but a lot of people on this forum advised me that that wasn't a good trade in my favor, what do you think?

2. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen

Mar 25, 2005
    I wouldn't make that trade.

It's a great bass, but limited in flexibility, despite all the knobs and buttons.

It's very deep. For me, with GHS flats, it sounds totally sick in that mode.

3. bassfart

bassfart

May 5, 2008
    Thanks for your response, I am keeping the P bass and saving my money for a Mike Lull custom T-Bird. The RD looks badass, and I am sure I could find a good sound out of it, but the P bass is a no brainer. The P was born the same year I was born in '73 so it means a lot to me.

image-1014483515.

4. poppinsmac

poppinsmac

Aug 10, 2007
    Hard to go wrong with Mike Lull. Well, I haven't tried out their basses but I put one of their t-bird pickups in a Fender Musicmaster I have and the pickups are so killer that I think it's a safe bet their whole basses are pretty good.

5. Dan Bozek

Dan Bozek

Aug 3, 2011
    Outside Pittsburgh, PA
    Endorsing Artist, D'addario Strings
    1. Don't ever get rid of a vintage instrument that you own and like. I sold a '73 Jazz for some dumb reason that seemed like a good idea at the time. Well, it wasn't, and I'll never play that bass again. :^(

2. I'm really interested in getting an RD A at some point, and I've seen them from time to time on eBay (when I don't have money!!) for $1,500-$2,000, so it seems like you'll be able to snag one sometime in the future if you want.

3. Haven't played the Lull T-Bird. Other Lulls I've played were SUPER nice, but EXPENSIVE. "Yeah, this is a really nice passive P/J and plecked and all that, but not really '$3,500 nice' P/J." My two cents. Same with Sadowsky and other boutique classic reboot basses. I have Fenders that weren't a ton of dough to start with that I tweaked out myself or with the help of professionals in my area that blow some buddies boutiques out of the water. Definitely not hating on those killer builders though. That's only my current opinion that wasn't asked for...

That being said, I plan on buying his T-Bird pups to stick in my Frankenbird. :^)

6. brad houser

brad houser

Jan 4, 2008
    the mike lull t-bird I played was Amazing. I had serious GAS/ depression for a couple of days. then gave up. too much $$. wouldn't hesitate to get one if i had lots of extra $$ laying around.

7. That bass is rad. So is the Mr. Bungle vinyl you got there.