1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

RE: 1983 G&L L.2000 Bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by rluka, Mar 13, 2013.

1. rluka

rluka

May 10, 2009
    Hi all
    Just picked up a nice 83 G7L L.2000 Active bass and was wondering if anyone knew what the three knobs and three switches do. It may need to be rewired but the neck is super straight.
    Thanks for looking
    Ron L

2. rluka

rluka

May 10, 2009
  3. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    is the back of your neck all sticky like some of them get?

4. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Man I love all of those switches that thing looks wicked.

5. rluka

rluka

May 10, 2009
    No, the neck really clean and smooth

6. rluka

rluka

May 10, 2009
    A couple of questions...The bass control knob makes a really big difference in the tone whereas the treble control is barely audible...Is this normal?
    Also, the three position active/passive switch is barely noticeable...Is this normal?
    There is a new battery installed
    The bass sounds great through my Gk amp.

Thanks again
    Ron L

7. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    i don't know if mine has been modded in any way, but here is my experience

active mode - bass sounded more warm/thick and less percussive

treble/bass - both are pretty responsive on mine

8. Technicality

Technicality

Feb 10, 2011
    I have a tribute which is supposedly the same electronics.
    Pickup selector and bass/treble have a dramatic effect, the preamp selector is a bit more subtle. I can't really tell the difference on the series/parallel switch beyond the volume difference.

Sounds like your treble pot is dying.

9. rluka

rluka

May 10, 2009

Thanks for all the info..I will have it looked at. Do the bass and treble conrtol knobs respond with the same intesity in active and passive mode

Thanks to everyone
    Ron

10. Technicality

Technicality

Feb 10, 2011
    The bass and treble are before the preamp, so they effect it about the same amount on or off. The preamp does preserve more of the highs though, so the treble cut will sound a bit more dramatic.

Since my bass was right there and plugged in I made a super quick clip to give you an idea of what it should sound like (though an '83 and a '08 tribute are probably not going to sound identical):
    http://www.idlecreations.com/loz/gnl_treble.mp3

I start in passive series both pickups, with all three knobs turned all the way up. Play the low E a bit and turn the treble all the way down, play and then back up. Then I flick the preamp on and into treble boost, and do the same thing. My treble knob is slightly scratchy so you can just about hear when I turn it.

11. rluka

rluka

May 10, 2009
    Thanks for going to all that trouble...Im going to have it looked at when I get home. Im pretty sure that its not just the treble control that is the problem. Probably another part of the board will have to be replaced.
    Later
    Ron

12. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    The bass and treble controls are cut only. The treble control is a normal tone control. For the full sound of the bass you want both controls on 10.