1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

RE-20 vs. e602 vs. D112

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Bjazzman, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    I currently have a e602 mic and have not had a chance to record my cabinet with it yet. Im wondering for those of you who have experience with these mics do they vary differently? Are they only as good as the mic pre your running. In my case a original motu 828. Im thinking about the RE-20 mainly for sax but it might double as a good bass mic. And i've heard that the D112 is the standard.

Your Thoughts??

2. Never used an e602. I like the RE20 a lot better than a D112. RE20 will be closer to what the cab sounds like in the room, D112 has a midrange scoop thing going on that is sometimes useful. Throw them all up at the same time and compare, that's what I do anytime I get my hands on a mic I've never used before.

In my opinion the RE20 is a great bass cab mic that could double for sax, not the other way around.

3. hunta

hunta

Dec 2, 2004
    Washington, DC
    RE-20 is the bomb.

4. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
    The e602 is not flat.
    It's alot like a Beta52 , with the "smilling curve" EQ , ......

Love the RE20 for brass.

One that I love for bass amp is the 421. "classic"
    Or the ATM-25.

5. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    Bass drum mics suck on bass cabs. I've had soundmen try to use them and I've had to politely ask them not to because they scoop the signal so much. If I can get an RE-20, that's what I use. If not, I ask for a 58. Not quite as flat as an RE-20, but it's close.

6. bkbirge

bkbirge

Jun 25, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    +1 on the RE-20, personally I hate the D112 I'd much rather use the older D12.

7. hunta

hunta

Dec 2, 2004
    Washington, DC
    The RE-20 is often used as a kick mic...

8. RE-20 makes a great kick mic. I like it better than a D112 for that too.

9. hunta

hunta

Dec 2, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Same. The D112 is good but I don't think I'd use it by itself for kick (too much FWOOF, yes that is a technical term!! as of now), D112 inside and RE-20 on the head is nice though. Get the FWOOF from the D112 and the FWAP from the RE-20 :)

10. That's interesting, I've never tried that. I've done large diaphragm dynamic + small diaphragm dynamic or SDC with kicks. Of course I usually do not have as many options as I would like, nor as many inputs. If I'm tracking a band live the RE-20 is generally on the bass amp. I don't think I've ever actually had 2 of the things on hand. At least not when I was calling the shots. The rig I'll be using to record a big metal drum set next week has those Audix kick drum mics(D6 maybe?). I'm expecting it to be like the D112 but moreso.

11. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    The RE-20 is a versatile flat mic that can be used on pretty much anything. But the D112 works for kick because of its heavy low end and heavy top end. Lots of boom with a sharp attack. The opposite of what you want on bass.

12. hunta

hunta

Dec 2, 2004
    Washington, DC
    I think it's a situational thing. It depends on what kind of sound is coming out of the cab. If it doesn't have enough meat to it, the D112 might take care of that. If it's a great sound coming out, the RE-20 would probably be better. YMMV. The D112 is used a lot as a bass cab mic so I wouldn't dismiss it completely. I would probably take the RE-20 over a D112 most of the time. The RE-20 is also more expensive.

You can also EQ the D112 and correct the "flaws" in the frequency response. The scooped mids is not really a problem because scooping the mids off the bass sound is pretty common anyway. You would also usually want to blend the D112 with a DI signal, ie use the DI for the clarity and the D112 for some UNF!

13. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    If I was a heavy duty slapper who dug the Marcus Miller sound, I'd want a D112. But I go for flat whenever possible. To be honest, I'd rather use a 58 than a D112 or any kick mic.

14. fokof

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
    Or a C12 ........ :D:hyper::eek:

+ 1 for the 112 , I hate that mike......

You guys should have a listen to the ATM25 , It's *very* good at a lot of things in the low ends , and very flat . ......and under 500$ .
    I use it a lot on kick , floors , bass amp and even upright bass.

Yes , yes , a dynamic on an upright can do you good....

15. bkbirge

bkbirge

Jun 25, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake

Hah ha, I've never put a C12 on a kick, I imagine that would get any staff engineer to blow a gasket. If you're going to do that might as well do it in stereo with a C24. I did use a pair of RCA 77-DX's on overheads many times but I was kind of young and they were mine anyway. The ribbons survived. I haven't used the ATM mic everyone seems to love but I've always liked Sennheiser 441's on just about everything, much more than the 421's, favorite weapon on upright too. I've used just about every mic on bass cabinets (even that C12 you mention!) and they all have pros and cons. Really if you have a good sound coming out of the amp it's hard to mess it up no matter what you use.

16. fokof

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
    C12 is in the "fantasm" zone of my life.
    Too much money.

441 is a dream on a lot of things , love it on flute.

That ATM25 I'm talking about is good on everything low end.
    Cheap too , you don't worry bringin' it on tour and droppin' it , can't say the same with a C12!

You mention RCA makes me think , I have a pair of ML52 , cheap russian ribbon mike , once modified with Lundhal transformers , they are amazing.

17. wwittman

wwittman

Apr 21, 2004
    Westchester, NY

yes and no

I think "bass drum mics" generally suck, on bass drum as well.

I don't need the mic company to "pre eq" for me.

I am therefore not much of a D112 fan on ANYTHING.

but the RE20 is brilliant on both bass drum AND bass amps.

I also like the Shure SM7 quite a bit, in both places.

not terrible, but not great:
    AT-25
    Sennheiser MD441
    AKG D224e

18. DeathDancer

DeathDancer

Oct 10, 2005
    Definitely the RE20, I love that mic! I find it captures that speaker growl from loudly driven amps nicely and all in all is more true to the bass/amp/cab sound then other mics I've tried. I personally hate the d112 on kicks and especially on bass, I'd rather use an SM57! The d112 is scooped way too much for my liking and sounds 'floppy' to me.

19. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    does anyone have experience with the e602? how did it work out for you. im not sure i can buy the re-20 yet. i have the e602, a couple of sm57's and an akg 2000b mic right now

20. Lobaw

Lobaw

May 14, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    +1

RE20 and SM57 together on the bass cab. You'll find something you like between those 2. Then again, if you're not looking for a "room" sound, get one of the Radial DI's and go direct and do a little bit of "destruction" in the box.