Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

? Re: '95 MIM JAZZ

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lbwdog, Dec 24, 2005.

1. I have a red '95 MIM standard Jazz(second hand). This bass came with a one piece white pickguard, meaning there's no seperate control plate. It is ALL one piece. Anybody know what years Fender did this? Also, anyone know for sure what body wood was used for this vintage? I"m thinking about refinishing but trying to anticipate what to expect underneath.

2. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    I believe they used Poplar back then :meh:

3. truckin88

truckin88

Oct 18, 2001
    Newburgh, NY
    on the tip of the head, does it say squier in small print?

4. Nope, no Squier anywhere and the serial # corresponds to a standard, best I can remember. I've owned lots of Fender basses over the last thirty plus years and this is one of the best playing ever!! I've currently modified it with Dimarzio model J's, vintage bridge, and conventional pearl pickguard with chrome control plate. This bass now looks as good as it plays.

5. I beleive they were called the Traditional Series.

6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I have one as well. I think they did that briefly in the mid 90's using the one piece pickguard/control plate!

7. steve21

steve21 Banned

I got one too... got it used for 150. Mine's in Olympic White, I think... or maybe Arctic white. Anyways, I've got the one piece pickguard/control plate too...

But I wanna Jacoize it and just buy a new control plate and have that be there alone, but I don't know if it'll be possible due to the routing... do any of you guys know?

edit: mine's actually a 93, (I think) but it's got the one piece.

8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

IIRC, the MIM's have routing beneath the PG. I'd love to just take mine off. I've never taken mine off to know for sure.

9. steve21

steve21 Banned

I took mine off a long time ago... I'd really like to just have the metal bell and the white finish... or a black pearloid pickguard. :)

Do you guys know if I can just stick on a new black pearl + metal bell and have that?

10. On my '95 the body is routed from pickup to the control area but I had no trouble mounting a chrome plate and white pearl pickguard from Allparts. It's actually a very attractive bass now.
    Do any of you owners feel the way I do about the playability of this bass? Mine has a super slim neck depth and feels fantastic.

11. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

It's funny, mine sounds way better than my Marcus Miller but the Marcus Miller plays like butter!

12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I believe they did that from 95-96 to save money. I think they look rediculous, but that's me.

13. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    can I get a pic of this? I cant imagine it.. does it look like a P-bass?

14. steve21

steve21 Banned

I dunno if there's really any differnce, but my neck always felt differnet than other jazz necks, and now that i've sanded & true oiled it, it's so much more comfortable... i like it.

As for pics,

[​IMG]

15. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I never liked that one piece pickguard thingie. It reminds me of an amoeba. The separate controlplate is one of the idnetifying marks of a jazz.

16. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

That's the same exact one I have! I love it. I only had to install a new jack as the original was garbage. Mine is a true slap machine!

17. steve21

steve21 Banned

^ Sweet! I have some pretty big plans for mine, I wanna give it all black hardware and some new pickups, along with maybe getting the wiring completely redone (Brand new pots and maybe even a new jack. But for now, it's still awesome.

18. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    wow I actually like it!!

19. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Correct.

20. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Depends on what you mean by "to save money". The "Traditional" MIM Jazz bass with the one piece pickguard had a lower price than the "Standard" Jazz bass with the control plate and three ply pickguard. They were both produced during these years. I'm fairly sure the "traditional" pickups are different also, probably cheaper, but that doesn't mean they sound worse.

The "traditional" series was one of the least expensive series' ov basses ever sold with the Fender name on them. I would not expect that attractive wood lives beneath the paint, and would be surprised if there were less than 5 pieces of wood. Don't strip it.