1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Re-beautification of a Peavey Fury

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AHaze, Apr 24, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Decided to get straight to work on the well loved '95 (probably) Fury I picked up yesterday. ( NBD thread here: NBD: My first MIA )
    Disassembly revealed what looks like original full size pots and a poorly replaced jack in what was left of the pickguard.
    20190423_201546.jpg
    I also busted out the heat gun and stripped the body as the black poly had two large chunks taken out of it.
    20190423_194711.jpg
    I knew I wasn't going to find a piece of wood worthy of a full natural finish but thought a burst might be in the cards. Not sure I'm feeling it with the grain pattern on this top cap though. I have some other ideas bouncing around in my head but have to put some thought into it.

2. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    The grain pattern looks ok for a burst. IMO, anyway.

Clutchcargo, Aqualung60 and TinIndian like this.
  3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    As an owner of a beat up Fury, I am looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

4. Thinking of ditching the guard, filling the holes and doing a 'Ray-esque control plate that mimics the Peavey headstock shape done in polished aluminum. Obviously this would require filling the wiring channel. Also, not sure if the plate should end there or perhaps continue to the end of the lower horn.
    Thoughts?
    20190424_091042.jpg

5. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    hi AHaze :)

Cool project! (Happy NBD!!!)

Stickers? :laugh:

may the bass be with you

Wise(b)ass

JRA likes this.
  6. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Looking forward to seeing what you do with this. In terms of a metal control plate, it might look something like the G&L Toro bass which is a good thing.
    I have a Peavey Fury but had to totally revamp the innards of the thing - (I could probably salvage the pickups, and maybe the wiring but the pots and output jack needed replacing). It currently has the complete pickups and wiring harness of a Squier CV P bass I bought for $25. Have to say it sounds amazing and pretty much put my MIM Fender P bass on the trading block.

NL_Bsss65 and AHaze like this.
  7. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Interesting.
    How do you feel about a brown stain on the body? Have you removed the sealer too or just the paint? If you get the sealer off, you could but some nice dark grain filler there for some contrast and then a nice brown stain.

As for a pick guard, I think a regular pick guard would be best but good luck however you decide to proceed.

Clutchcargo likes this.
  8. A simple stain finish won't look very good. These have a multi piece body with a thin veneer on the front and back. That darker color you see in the arm contour is the main body wood contrasting with the veneer, not a shadow.

9. That's not a veneer. On poplar bodies Peavey used a wood treatment then a sealer coat.

By 95 manufacture costs were already slashed to the bone. Veneer under a solid colour ? No way HP would waste time/money on that.

10. I still say it's a veneer. There are obvious glue joint lines in the ends of the body that stop at the lighter colored front and back surfaces. It isn't a pretty grain so I have no idea why it's there.

11. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    I don't know what your abilities are, but unless you have a lot of experience, and you have some professional metal working equipment, I would avoid this. Ventures like what you're describing almost always turn out amateur looking when done by people that haven't done this many, many times before.

kodiakblair likes this.
  12. I'm a journeyman sheetmetal worker and spent 10 years doing nothing but custom fabrication. I can handle making the plate, just not sure if the design is any good to start with.

Microbass likes this.
  13. Five String

Five String Supporting Member

You didn't ask, but replace those pots with CTS or better. I transferred the guts of my early '90's Peavey to a Warmoth body and when I put CTS pots in mine the sound improved a lot.

AHaze likes this.
  14. Five String

Five String Supporting Member

Go for it and be creative. I did a much less ambitious control cavity cover made from a cheapo tort guard, but it's these kind of creative adventures that make projects like this really fun.

15. ejaggers

ejaggers Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Fort Worth, tx
    PG like headstock?
    I think you'll be the only one that gets it.

The PG shaped like the HS sound a little weird to me.
    I'd put a nice color on the body, and a PG that makes that body snap, crackle, and pop!!!

Clutchcargo likes this.
  16. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Can't tell if it's tarnish but from your pic, it looks like the frets look a bit worn and may need to be worked on.

AHaze likes this.
  17. Dean N

Dean N

Jul 4, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    If you can 1) get the veneer line on the forearm contour a bit cleaner and 2) spray dye evenly without it looking blotchy, I'd do a transparent color that very subtly shows the grain and fabricate a highly polished metal pickguard in the same shape as the original, use chrome hardware, and upgrade the pots.

If not, then paint of your choice of color. Any brown or stain will look like a amateur job.

18. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I'm aware of the veneer/top/face and butcher block body (standard operating procedure for affordable USA Peavey's). Why not work with the veneer and treat it like a top? Either way, if you decide to burst it, it will look sharper (IMHO) with some nice bold grain underneath.

19. Hues

Hues

Nov 27, 2012
    see Burn Notice
    Took a couple of shots at the PG...

20190424_PG1.jpg 20190424_PG2.jpg

AHaze and Nephilymbass like this.
  20. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

I did my old Peavey in metallic purple with some colour change. I think the student who bought it had it re-painted camouflage. As far as the wood fill goes, I say do it. I did that to a Squier Jazz so I could rock it without a guard.

I would suggest changing the pickup though. My Fury was also a 95 and it had the most mid-scooped pickup I had ever heard in a P (and I have played plenty of '08~ Fenders!) My bandmates never said anything negative about my rotating door of basses but they demanded I no longer bring the Fury to practice.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 14, 2021