1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Re-cone or replace SWR Baby Blue speakers?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MLysh, Oct 15, 2009.

1. MLysh

MLysh

Oct 11, 2007
    MD/DC/VA
    Greetings,

Hope this thread is in the right place, please move it if necessary.

I have an original SWR Baby Blue w/ Bag Ends. It's truly a great sounding combo amp. A couple of months ago, I noticed that the foam around one of the speakers had split, causing distortion in the sound. I've read that Bag End does not make replacement speakers for these units. So I'm wondering if anyone here has:

1) Used replacement speakers that they are happy with.

or

2) Had the Bag Ends successfully re-coned.

A further question would be: If they can be re-coned, does anyone here know of a competent place to have this done in the greater Baltimore/Washington metro area?

Thanks in advance for any help provided.

2. Another option is to replace them with the Eminence or Celestions that the BBII were stocked with. I have a BBII with the stock Eminence.

Yet another option is replacing them with LDS long throw 8's.

3. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    If you want to have your speaker repaired, it's possible that you don't need a full re-cone, just a replacement of the foam surround. It would probably be worth contacting Bag End's service department to ask if they can repair your speaker.

4. The trouble with any foam surround speaker is that the foam does degrade ruining the speaker. OTOH it is a fairly simple job for a speaker guy to do. B-O-T make a great suggestion.

Paul

5. neptoon

neptoon Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2000
    Cape Canaveral, FL
    contact bag end first...i would def recommend a recone...it's virtually a brand new speaker on the fram that you send back...and much cheaper

6. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'd recommend eminence replacements. If you pop the internal measurements and port dimensions up here I'll model it for you and make some suggestions :)

7. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Search! Lots of info here.

8. gregoire1

gregoire1

Oct 19, 2008
    Nashville
    Take his advice! Foam surround failure appears to be common with these combos, and if you repair it, it'll just happen again. Whoever heard of using foam surrounds in a pro-audio application?

9. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    LDS has Eminence replacements that make the BBII a pants flapper.
    Very robust each has power handling of the amps output.
    Search here lots of info on the Bags, Celestion and the LDS.
    Forget measuring it's been done for you:)