1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Re-covering cabs with bedliner

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thejames, Aug 30, 2007.

1. thejames

thejames

Jul 8, 2007
    Manchester, MI
    I need to learn about covering amps or cabs with bedliner (such as the trademarked RhinoLiner or the like). What should it cost? Any recommendations for or against? What does it do to the sonic qualities of the cab? Thanks!

My home is infested with cats.

2. anonymous02282011

anonymous02282011 Guest

Jun 27, 2007
    google rhino-coat and find a dealer. i think they have paint or spray on now. i have a 15" coated with it and it's quite durable, waterproof, looks professional. i didn't notice much sound difference in the cab after having it applied. after all, it's only on the outside of the cab. relatively cheap. in short: recommended.

3. CrackBass

CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    huntsville,AL
    line-x or rhino liner is an awesome coating. it is super durable and looks good too. colors are available as well. it is pricey but it may be worth it to you if your cabs are transported regularly and gigged alot. i have two yamaha monitors coated with the stuff. (factory) they get abused alot and they still look good. i have actually managed to chip the finish in a couple of small places but they have held up extemely well. the rest of the cabs components (grills, feet, jack plates) are showing quite a bit more wear and they are usually the more durable parts.

price will depend on how big the cabs are. i would reccomend calling or talking to your local dealer. for reference my best guess would be about $125 for a 410 or similar sized cabinet. you might be able to talk them into a deal though. ya never know till you ask.

4. doctec

doctec

Mar 22, 2005
    Beaverton, Oregon
    Last summer I refinished two 1x15 cabs with some brush-on bedliner paint I bought at the local auto parts store. It worked out fine -- Just get the little rubber nubbins in the paint mixed up really good and brush it on. Two coats covered them well. A year later they still look good.

Don't remember the brand name, but it cost $30 a can (quart?) and it took two cans to paint the two cabs ($60 total).

5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
  6. johnnycat42

johnnycat42

Feb 27, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I got the same cat issue and want to rid of the rat fur so I dont have to run and chase the cat off every time I leave my cab out. Plus, I think this is better for lugging them around. Good thread

7. CrackBass

CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    huntsville,AL
    i would definately second the duratex suggestion in leu of the auto store truck liner. duratex is far superior and it is about as good as you can get for a diy product. line-x is still better but unless you have quite a bit of specialize equipment (and a line-x dealership) you'll be paying someone to do that for you. duratex is pretty durable and pretty easy to work with, but be prepared to either live with a roller finish (which isn't bad at all) or spent some time experimenting and perfecting your spray technique to get the perfect textured finish like a shop would give you. btw the duratex costs about 60 bucks a gallon and that's enough to do several cabs depending on how you apply it.

8. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I have found that unless you mix it up really thoroughly, the
    Duratex will have an uneven finish after you dip the cat's paws in it.

9. BarryS

BarryS

Oct 17, 2004
    Duratex is the only way to go in my book. The color options are great and it goes on pretty easy if you prepare the cabinet right.

10. Could you elaborate on preparing the cab right? I'm planning on coating my two SWR cabs. Also, when applying it with a roller, is it difficult to make it look even when hitting the narrow areas like where the front of the cab is recessed? That job looks great, by the way. I plan on doing the same color :bassist:

11. CrackBass

CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    huntsville,AL
    you will have to use a brush getting into those tight areas. i reccomend using a ceiling hopper and spraying it. you will get the best texture that way. i've heard a textured roller is a decent alternative. don't forget to try it out on a test piece first to get an idea of what technique works the best for you. sprayed it will look something like this

[​IMG][/IMG]

12. thejames

thejames

Jul 8, 2007
    Manchester, MI
    Ah, proper preparation - now there's the rub!
    I assume the first step would be to tear off the rat fur.
    Also, if taken to a jobber, cab should be prepped and ready.

So... elaboration would be most welcome.

The candidate is an SWR Workingman's 15 (pre-Fender).
    (or is it a scratching-post?)

13. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Hey cool! the only other Bag End other than mine that I've seen finished like this. Dig the yellow too.

Attached Files:

14. pauldebass

pauldebass

May 8, 2006
    I believe that's what Carvins have on their BRX series. I've dragged a BRX212 up and down stair and it's only shown light scrape marks where anything else would have been ripped to shreds. And I thing the tone is better than that carpeting crap everyone seems to use

15. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner Supporting Member Commercial User

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner
    Every cab manufacturer should be using Duratex by now.

16. Jeff A

Jeff A

Oct 22, 2005
    CT
    NO. As an option, YES.

I'd hate to think that I would have to pay extra for rat fur.

17. simple answer murder the cats

im serious

deadly serious

18. thejames

thejames

Jul 8, 2007
    Manchester, MI
    Can't murder the cats. They belong to my wife.
    Technically speaking, so does all my gear.

And the cats are nice, even if they are a destructive form of vermin.

19. BarryS

BarryS

Oct 17, 2004
    Lost track of this thread, sorry guys.

The bag end cab was fairly easy to prep for duratex. Bag End uses water based glue on the carpet so a little water dissolves it. The hard part was filling the voids in the plywood. I used saw dust and wood glue, as it was what I had around. I think that next time I will use bondo. A little sanding and then your set to go. I used one of acrytechs texture rollers and it worked great. It is dry after about 4-6 hours and cures to final hardness in a week. Once it cures it is nearly imposible to scratch or dent. They will do any color that Sherwin Williams offers. The color I used was called Kids Stuff and is actually orange. My camera washes it out to a yellow in sunlight. I think my next project will be a couple of BFD cabs in white. Maybe an omni 10 and titan 39.:bassist:

20. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Now, now...Don't be hatin'... :rolleyes:

MM