Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Re-cut the nut for Sadowsky's new B?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by tightbidness, May 11, 2004.

1. I started a similar thread in the Strings forum, but since folks are discussing the new Sadowsky strings in the Sadowsky vs. Lull thread. . .

I'd like to put a set of Sadowsky Bright Nickels on my 5-string Sad Tokyo bass. The bass came with a .128 gauge B, but the new Sadowsky B is .130. Is it necessary to have the nut slot re-cut? Will it risk damaging the nut if I put the .130 on the bass? Thanks.

2. dragonbass

dragonbass Commercial User

Feb 17, 2003
    N.Y.
    Owner/Builder of LoPrinzi Basses.........................................EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder
    Depends!

If the nut slot was cut for a .0128 with no room for play them you might have to.

The best thing to do is string the bass with a .0130 and see if it sits flat in the nut slot. If it doesn't slide in easliy (DO Not Force It In!) then you need to cut the slot.

3. I'd be pretty amazed if the nut slot was cut without at least 2/1000 of an inch of leeway...

Mike

4. It should fit fine...string her up and see, The Bright nickels are the BEST strings I have ever used PERIOD!!!

T

5. Your kidding right? You're going to ask us whether you should adjust/mutilate the nut on YOUR Sadowsky?

E-mail THE man himself. Or call Roger. He's very accessable.

6. Ditto........

roger@sadowsky.com

[​IMG]
    Treena

7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Please don't cross-post - it just annoys the mods.

Moved to setup...

8. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    i see NO reason why you'd have to adjust the nut for a 2/1000th of an inch difference. I've moved as much as 7/1000 and never had the slightest problem.

9. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

He is the man to ask, please let us know how it turns out.PS arent those Tokyo basses great :bassist:

10. Sorry, HeavyDuty (and everyone else). Won't happen again!

11. Thanks. Maybe I should give a call. I emailed Roger a question about string gauges a couple of months back and never received a reply. . . Not sure what happened.

12. Cool, that's what I was curious about. When I started studying jazz guitar I put a set of .012 flats on a guitar set up for .010s. The strings fit in the slots all right, no noticeable tuning problems, but my luthier was like, "you're gonna crack the nut!" Since then I've been hesitant to change gauges on my instruments.

Thanks for the responses everyone and sorry again about the cross-post.

13. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Give Roger a call, he can help you out. You can get the phone number off the site, www.sadowsky.com

14. tightbidness, Roger is also a TalkBass member, he posts here on occasion. You might look up his membership and send him a private message on the board. I have dealt with Roger and find him to be fast, pleasant and completely honest!

I really see no problems with the new guage string in the older nut, if it binds then file it out to fit the new guage, other wise if it an't broke............

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Treena

15. This ISN'T mutilation. So let's not get carried away here.

a .002" adjustment of the nut is absolutely nothing to accomplish. You could make 2 light passes with a fret file and accomplish the task. You could even take a scrap .130 string and work it through the nut to enlarge it.

Simple task, simple tools, simple concept, simple execution.

Jim, it might surprise you to hear that your basses expand and contract on a daily basis due to temp and humidity changes far more than this small amount.

16. So I restrung my bass tonight. The .002 difference wasn't noticeable, and the Bright Nickels sound very nice. Thanks everyone for your responses.