1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

RE: Daveplaysbass' single coil L2K mod

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by rok51, Feb 26, 2008.

1. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Does this mod allow dual coil (humbucking) mode as well as selective (inner or outer) single coil use? Or do you have to give up the dual coil setup altogether?

Thanks!

Kim

2. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I haven't done the mod but my understanding is that you change the two-way series/parallel toggle to a three-way. So you get series/single-coil/parallel. IIRC, the single coils are the outer ones.

3. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    With a three way switch there are three possible options. You have to give up one of the four possibilities (series, parallel, single in, single out).

There are lots of complicated ways to get all four options.

4. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    You could use a push/pull knob for the series/parallel option and then use the two-way toggle for single in, single out.

5. tkozal

tkozal

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    Mine came with a three way installed at the factory..para/sc/series. Outer coils.

Matt at Guitarman Nyc says G&L makes these for some shop in Japan, and occasionally they make their way here. I think he has one for sale now.

I find that there is a little difference in the sound between the sc and the series. The sc is a slightly hollower sound. But its really not that much different.

6. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    To me, the s/c seems brighter and clearer.
    Also, to me, the outer coils make the most sense.
    This gives you "the bridgiest bridge sound*, and the neckiest neck sound*"

*These terms are trademarked, and commercial use of them is an infringement on my obviously intellectual property.

:bag:

7. DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    If you have two pickups, you need two poles per pickup or a 4 poles switch for the pair. You could use a three way 4PDT on-on-on in the normal position and then use a push pull to go with the fourth option SC when in parallel.

Interesting observation. IME the SC is closer to parallel than series, but my most of my experience with series is the single coil with bass boost capacitors. Thru my amp I hear a distinct difference in sound between all three positions. Parallel is clear and thick. SC has more clarity, not as thick. Series is thick and borlines on muddy at times. Can be hard to get the D and G thru. But I need to experiment more with bass cut in this setting.

I have spent time with both and my Tribute L2K is wire for SC only with outers and inners. As for soloed neck pickup, I prefer the inside coil most of the time. It is a little more punchy / aggresive. Althought there is not a huge difference between the two. BTW, the inside coil is the L1K setting.

As for both pickups at the same time, the outers are good for slap and a scooped sound. But the inners have the punch of humbucker and the clarity of singles you do not get from parallel. I kinda look at this setting as a big humbucker that is kinda in the Climax / Stingray position, but a little more bottom given the neck coil. Probably my favorite two pickup setting. I used to gig with that on a basswood / quilted top / rosewood L2.5K all the time. But on my Tirbute L2K, I think I like the neck pickup soloed (ash / maple).

8. francisl2500

francisl2500

Jul 19, 2006
    quebec
    where could i get a wiring diagram for single coil -serie- parralel/ with a push -pull switch for single coil choice ( inner or outer). That will gave me options of; parralel, serie, single coil inner, single outer.
    Thanks Francis

9. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Thanks to all that replied! First, my Tribby L2K has to a-r-r-i-v-e...it's overdue at the local mom and pop...then I'll play around with it stock for awhile before deciding whether to mod it or not. The single/dual coil option sounds tempting, regardless.

Kim

10. palmann

palmann

Sep 3, 2006
    Germany
    Honestly, I got my first G&L more than a year ago. I'm still exploring the possibilities...

Gruesse, Pablo

11. DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    The basic single coil mod is simple. You buy a $20 switch that looks exactly the same as the series / parallel switch except it has three positions instead of two. You unsolder about 8 wires and resolder them to the new switch. This gets you one of the SC options. And while you are in there, you can add the 0.1uF capacitors (single coil with bass boost caps) that Leo INTENDED his G&L basses to have.

12. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Pablo; Don't feel bad;)
    I been playing G&L's since 1981, and am only just now getting around to enjoying experimenting with passive modes...

13. Hey Guys,
    I specified the single coil mod on the L2000 I just ordered from Matt at Guitarman NYC because I liked it so much on the redburst beheamoth L2000 I had. Matt told me that it is the outer coils straight from the factory. Hope this helps.
    B

14. DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    I am right there with you Chef. I have been on the G&L band wagon for about 6 years and I am just discovering the power of the bass and treble cuts in passive mode.

G&L has strayed a bit from the days of Leo. Maybe good, maybe not. The changes are:

1) Series is no longer done with the bass boost caps. This change went into effect just recently. Tributes never had the caps and USA L-2000s no longer have them either. They probably did this because people complained about the hum and it makes wiring them up easier.

2) The preamp from the Leo days has been replaced with a different circuit. I have simulated the frequency response of both and they are very different. The modern G&L preamp does nothing in the basement and boost treble and mids simulataneously. If you think the G&L preamp is a little on the harsh side with too much finger noise, it is probably the high mid / low treble voicing of it. I am designing up a drop-in replacement preamp that I may be building in the next couple of months (kids' activities get in the way of things). It has a very slight mid scoop and a higher treble voicing which should be a little smoother and subtle (at least that's the plan) ;)

3) The SC mode they have been using on recent limited runs of the L-2000 does not give one the L-1000 voicing that many G&L fanatics rave about. The L-1000 is all passive with a 3 way switch that does parallel - single coil with bass boost (series) - single coil (inside coil, one closest to bridge). To each there own. The outsides do sound good. But the insides are more useful for the meat and potato playing IME. There's a guy that took my original wiring diagram and added a second 4 pole switch (by drilling out another hole) and got all four options. He too found the inside SC option to be the most useful.

15. palmann

palmann

Sep 3, 2006
    Germany
    I unsoldered them, because the serial setting had too much bass in my ears.

From when where the instruments you tested?

Thanks for your insight.

Gruesse, Pablo

16. DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    My first inclination as well. It's the bass cut that I am starting to understand a lot better.

As for series without the capacitors, on two different basses, it did nothing for me. Sort of dull. Kinda like series connected J pups. Never has done anything for me in a live mix.

On a Climax the series with bass boost was a my favorite setting. This bass came without the series caps. G&L has never put the bass boost caps on the Climax or L-1500. But I believe these were both released after Leo's passing.

I slso found some use soloing a bridge pup on a L-2500 in a boomy room.

The G&L website has the schematics. I have simulated the old and new preamps with simulation software (SPICE). Pretty basic stuff.

All of my "ear" experience is with the newer preamp. This has been with a USA L-2500, USA Climax, and Korean Tribute L2K.

17. lordnielson

lordnielson

Sep 22, 2007

I'm very interested in this preamp mod. Do you have anything finished that you'd like to share ?

Also I did your inside single coil mod (series switch) and loved it. I'd also like to do the outside single coil mod (parallel) but have no clue how to wire up the paralle side of the standard two way switch. Any (laymans term) help on this would be greatly appreciated. :D

Cheers
    Pete

18. lordnielson

lordnielson

Sep 22, 2007
    Right I finally got it working both inside and outside single coil on the two way switch. Sounds great.
    I have an American Jazz here that I can compare it to and IMO the Asat sounds better when in similar mode to the Jazz. It's a deeper more solid sound.
    Roll of a little bass and volume and it's great.

Still would like to know about some preamp mods. Getting those mids under control would be nice.
    Actually it also sounds as though the bass knob brings up quite a bit of mids as well.

19. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thats odd- to me, the "single coil with bass boost" setting actually has more clarity than the straight series connection. I think this is due to there not being the frequency cancellation of the highs in the SCWBB that series connections suffer from (since the highs are all coming from one pickup). It sounds much fuller to me than series- which tends to have a very exaggerated midrange and a dull high end to my ears. I've actually wired 2 non G&L basses using the "single coil with bass boost" idea to good effect (I think its genius!)- a Jazz- style bass with single coils (so doing the standard J-bass series/parallel mod, but cutting the highs from the neck pickup with a .1uf cap) and my dual Darkstar'd Jazz (wired the same as above). I also plan to do the same with my ASAT Special guitar- but with a .047uf cap instead...I already have a push/pull tone pot on the ASAT to wire the 2 single coils in series- it is my favorite guitar sound!

Karl