RE: DB Wood Care & Upkeep

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Celarier, Sep 28, 2002.

1. Celarier

Sep 5, 2002
    Washington, DC
    Well I have just sent in my supporting member cash for this most awesome website.

Question: I am a Newbie to DB but have recently purchased an old Epiphone from the 50's.
    It is good shape but was wondering what kind of care/upkeep I could perform. It has a few scratches/wear to the sides and the brass is dulled. Is it better to just leave it alone. Also there are a few 'din
    gs' on the body beyond the finnish. Can I do what I do with my furniture with Ober Fornby's or is that deterious to the instrument? I just want to respect it.

The brass is dulled. Should I not shine it? Obviously you don't want cleaning product to get the neck which could be accomplished by finely taping around it before application.

I read all the Newbie articles - which were all totally great. But I saw nothing about finnish, polishing, or cleaning products? Is there room for details on 'talkbass - DB' for these kinds of concerns. I just don't want to do something wrong to an instrument but want invest in it's future use and presentation.
  2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

The newbie articles in each forum are specific to the topics of the forum they're in. I think there are a couple of articles in the "Setup & Repair" links thread about finishes. Either way, this thread has potential to be a good useful source of information, but it needs to be where Lex Luthier lives. So with that in mind......
  3. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    First give the bass a thorough cleaning with a damp cloth. If there's a lot of gunk or rosin build-up, take it outside, put on a respirator, and have at it with some Xylene on a soft rag. Also clean the dead skin and sweat from the fingerboard (wear gloves and make sure your innoculations are up to date). Now you can bring the patina up with a little Oz or Guardsman polish, and rub some linseed, walnut, or mineral oil into the fingerboard. I would not tape around the tuners--you could pull off the old varnish when you remove it. Instead, take the strings, and then the tuners off the instrument, if you feel the need to shine them up. As far as your scratches and dings, I'm going to take heat for this, but on a plywood like yours the easiest thing is to rub some Old English Scratch Cover or some similar product into the scratches. Do this before you polish. WARNING: Be careful that all the seams are closed up, and there are no edge delaminations, so you don't get any cleaners or polishes where they don't belong.