Recently I bought a frankenfretless on impulse: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/impulse-buy-ibanez-roadster-rs900-frankenfretless-need-help-fretboard-radius-889256/ The defret job was ugly, but even if it needed some work, I liked it when I tested it in the shop. I figured I could just fill in the uneven spots with CA+ and sand it to make it playable. This thread is NOT a tutorial, it is a documentation of my effort to repair an ugly defret job with playability issues to make it an ugly, but playable defret job. I dismantled the guitar, and then I discovered that the previous job was even worse than I'd feared. Here are facts about the old job: The frets are torn out without taking into account fretboard splinters (it is common to remove frets as gently as possible and glue down splinters with CA as they appear. The slots are filled with a putty like, brown mass. There is no laquer ir anything on top. I chose to go for an affordable solution with a focus on getting the bass playable: Unscrew the neck from the body, remove the nut and the tuners. Sand down the old laquer coats and assess how much needs to be sanded down to give an even surface. Clean out the old fret slots (remove all "putty" and expand slightly to accommodate the wood veneer) Fill fret slots with wood veneer and super glue (as shown on stewmac here: http://www.stewmac.c...ive/ts0139.html). Sand the wood veneer for a smooth fingerboard. Assess whether the rest of the neck needs to be sanded down and varnished again. Create a new surface with superglue (as shown on stewmac here: http://www.stewmac.c...ive/ts0139.html). File down nut slot somewhat. Put guitar together and set up with flatwounds. This topic describes this process (there are going to be pictures).