Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

RE: DINGWALL USERS

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by instigata, Feb 26, 2006.

1. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    What would the tona ldifferences be in a newer, alder bodied AB with FD-3s versus an older soft maple bodied AB with FD-1s?

thanks.

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    i've only played the alder bodied version, so I can't be much help there, but you should also check the pickup comparision that Groovaholic made on the Dingwall board:

Never one to leave well enough alone, I did a bit of soldering this morning. I swapped the pickups in my Dingwalls.

From the descriptions here and on TalkBass of the differences between the FD-1s and the FD-3s, it seemed like the FD-1 are tight and aggressive sounding while the FD-3s are a bit brighter and more "round" sounding. I like a bright tone, and it occurred to me that the brighter FD-3s might perk up my ash-bodied Z2, while the FD-1s might tame some of the top end on (and give more attack to) my maple-bodied AB-I.

This also gave me a GREAT opportunity to do a fairly accurate comparison; I have a Roland 2480 recording setup in my basement, so I recorded myself playing scales on both basses pre and post swap.

The results; interestingly, I noticed a more significant change in the tone on my Z2 than on my AB, and it was a positive change. The FD-3s really do a great job of brightening the Z2 and I feel like they have a more open, hi-fi tone. The FD-1s in my AB seemed to make it a bit more punchy, but with slightly less low-end extension. But, that fact is counterbalanced by the position of the neck pickup on the AB vs. the Z2.

Why I did this is that while I preferred the TONE of the Z2, I liked the SOUND of the AB better. What I mean by that is that the TONE is the sound of the wood, and the SOUND is what ends up coming out of the amp.

Anyhow, I'm of the opinion that Shedon and crew made some good changes when they went from the FD-1s to the FD-3s, and it makes me even more curious to hear the clarity and definition of the FD-3.4s

BTW, happy birthday...

3. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    thanks mucho.

what do you think is a fair price for a used 2003 AB I without bluEcube, FD 1s, maple body, 1 piece neck? and flame top.

4. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

I would guess it DOES have the BluEQube...the earlier ones were a push pull pot switch and not the usual 2 way switch we see nowadays.

I would think it should sell between 900-1200. There have been a few price jumps since 2003, so remember if the seller's trying to compare it to current street or list, they probably didn't pay that at the time.

5. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    he's asking 1400. seems a bit high. but thats with shipping and strings.

i'll offer 1200, and c how it goes.

6. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Seems high to me too.

Not too long ago, you could have had a new one for that price. He's charging either what he paid for it or maybe even more?

7. actually since the price jump $1400 is okay, but yes slightly on the higher side.
    HOwever since there are always a scarity of dingwalls, the price is whatever the market will bear

I have an ABI from a similar yr and make, the bass sounds great and like burning says the FD1s make the bass sound growly and aggresive, definatively authoritative, and it cuts thru the band mix

8. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    but if it were a pre price jump bass, wouldn't it be the older retail - 30%?

i would think only newer models get affected by a jump in price.

9. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    i should also add, this is a 4 string.

10. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Is it flame top? Do you have time to call Bass Central tomarrow and get a quote? Sounds High to me too, but as was said, if there's a shortage, it's whatever the market will bear.

11. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    yes, flame top.

i'm going to call bass central. they offered a non-flame top new for about the same price, including case and shipping, a few days ago. this was an alder body, fd-3, 3 piece neck, mind you.

i can get a new one from blueberry hill for a very similar figure. so that price does not hold up, as far as my wallet is concerned, regardless of what the market says.

12. RunngDog

RunngDog

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Not unless the specs have changed. Typical price for a used bass in "like new" condition is the current new price less 20-30%. With Dingwalls, which don't come up very often on the used market, I would expect the discount to be closer to 20% than 30%. So if there's been enough of a price jump, a seller may actually get more than he paid new for his used Dingwall.

13. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Things you can use for leverage:

-Sheldon replaced the push/pull knob with a switch due, I believe to the fact that some of the push/pull knob wasn't as dependable as he would have liked.

-It's probably a 1 pc. neck not the 5pc neck. The past few years they've been 5pc. as I believe the 'shop' finds them more 'predictable'.

-The pickups are FD-1's not the 'improved' FD-3's.

It is my opinion that none of these things would change MY decision to purchase this bass. None of them are said to slag the bass, which is probably wonderful. BUT...as a bargaining tool, I'd think they're all useable to get the seller to decrease his asking price and/or explain why 'current' list shouldn't be applied to this bass.

14. Burning-
    you make good points, and i too would use them as a bargaining tool, however, as an FYI to others considering a AB from that period.

-the FD1 are not improved, they are just different.

- The 1 piece maple neck is fantastic, and in my 3+yrs w/ a ABI w/ one,it has never moved, nor needed adjustment. Yes absoutely they should get more consistant results using the laminates, however Sheldon went to laminates when he couldn't get consistantly good large maple neck blanks, the lamination process evens out the pieces.

the push/pull knob, i'm in agreement w/ you, the switch performs better, my knob is scratchy, but doesn't make a noise if you don't touch it

i think the bass is worth whateveer he can get for it, infact back in 04 I sold ABI #0042 which was 1 piece everything (1 piece neck, 1 piece soft maple body), and Barts for more than I paid for the bass. The person who bought it loved it and thought it was worth every penny.
    These basses are rare (sheldon makes <100/yr), so they command higher prices
    just my opinion
    frank

15. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Hi Frank,
    I agree with you wholeheartedly. I wouldn't consider any of these things to be 'problems', and they certainly wouldn't stop me from buying the bass. I did want to point out that they are good bargaining points for someone who's trying to get $$$ cash based upon the newest price list. These are also things that someone who's looking at buying an Afterburner for the first time might not know. I hope my post was read in this manner.

16. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    i contacted sheldon. a new one with flame top in 2003 was 1650. a case was another 100 bucks

so, its in mint condition, and has case. shipping is 25, and im paying 1200. which is exactly 70% of 1750. not bad, not bad at all.

sending the check tomorrow.

here's a pic or two:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. RunngDog

RunngDog

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I think $1200 is a very fair price for that bass, given current prices and the limited availability of used Dingwalls. However, I'm skeptical about that $1750 price estimate for 2003 -- the street price for the equivalent bass in 2004 was only about $1400, including case.

18. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I think you're doing right for $1200.

Without numbers being listed, I also concur with RunngDog...I would guess that was 'list' that you were quoted?!? I bought a AB1 (5) in 2005 and it was in that range.

19. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    nope, i specifically asked sheldon for the selling price, street price, of the bass.

so yea.. i don't know, but regardless, i dig it. i saw a similar one, just one year older, with sum dings etc on the neck going for 1300. so hey, i figure i've done right.

20. martens-koop

martens-koop

Oct 10, 2002
    Saskatoon
    Hi there... just my 2 cents in addition to franks comments on the single piece neck... The problem was definately as frank said, that getting consistent boards was troublesome... when we were processing the single piece necks I remember having to reject a huge percentage due to fluctuations in the grain... It was a rather complex process determining if the board was up to standards... to make a long story short, you should feel very confident that if you are getting a single piece dingwall neck that it has been inspected very carefully and should be top notch...

I sold my ABI four string with a flame top for 1500, but it was only 1 month old at the time and it was heavily customized (which Sheldon NEVER does on an AB so that explains the premium price)... my gut tells me that $1200 would be the top end of what I'd pay for on AB4T thats a few years old, and at that, it had better be in superfantastic shape... it is still a super instrument though, and those FD1 pickups have a great tone... getting that steve harris iron maiden tone all the way to a flea-ish kinda tone is a snap.

jmk