Re-finishing question.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Sonorous, Sep 5, 2004.

1. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    So I've sanded all of the black paint off of my Ibanez and I'm wanting to leave it a natural finish. The problem is that while I was sanding paint off I also sanded through some sealer or some kind that was on the wood, but only in some spots. So now I've got spots on the bass that are way too light.

I was planning on doing a tung finish, but will the color be uniform (excluding grain)? I don't want my bass to look like a blotchy cow, what should I do about this.

EDIT: I also don't want anything thats too glossy,
    I was hoping I could make it look like it wasn't finished at all, with the exception of it being protected and the grain and wood variations well represented.
  2. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Well I'd say if you think you've sanded through something only in parts of the body, and you ultimate goal is to have a natural wood finish, then your only option would be to continue to sand off whatever it is that you've removed from part of the instrument. If you have removed the sealer from part of the body and not the rest, if you apply anything else to the wood it will react differently to the bare wood than it will to the wood with the sealer still on it and give you the blotchy cow look you are worried about. Also if you aren't sure what it is you will not be able to match it and even if you could it probably wouldn't seal evenly with some new sealer in places and overlapping the edges where the old sealer is.

So my suggestion is to continue sanding until you get the whole body in the same condition, then do the finish you want uniformly to the body. That's the only way you can be sure to get a consistent finish unless you are VERY experienced in matching finishes and/or applying finish to small areas to even things out.

Good luck!!!
  3. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Oh, well actually. My dad who is experience in this kind of stuff, he works on guitars and builds tube amps, told me I could stain the whole thing and it would look fine without any of the blotches.

I tried it and he was right. Other than some very slight value variations from me being inept at staining, it looks fine. No ugly cow blotches.

Now I'll finish it with a polyurethane satin thing he has.

Thanks for the help and wishes though.