Re-fitting p/u`s on a Warwick

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Charmand G, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Charmand G

Charmand G

Nov 30, 2005
    Hi, there!

Inspired by an earlier thread....
    I`m considering to get another set of p/u`s on my Warwick Vampyre SN 5-str., but I don`t know what brands which will fit into the holes, except EMG`s. The lows and highs on this bass is allready awesome, so I`d like to get a bit more mid-tone out of it.
    Anybody have any experience with this? I currently have the stock MECII-preamp and -p/u`s.

And will I have to change preamp too?
    And is it possible to combine different brands, like one MEC-Jazz + MM Humbucker?

Any tips are highly appreciated!!

2. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Yes, it is possible to mix and mash most combinations, though an active pickup and a passive pickup might not work well in the same bass. But, other than that, Bartolini makes a lot of different sizes of pickups and they also make preamps. Aguilar has preamps as well, as does a lot of other companies. Some are more well known than others. You do not have to change the preamp, as pickups might make the change in sounds that you are looking for.
  3. Charmand G

Charmand G

Nov 30, 2005
    How easy is it to change a single pick-up by myself?
  4. bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Not bad,

you should have knowledge on how to solder however.

If you are just replacing the pickups then you will need to:
    1.) draw out what goes where (good if you can make a schematic)
    2.) un-solder the old ones
    3.) unscrew the pickups from the bass
    4.) slide the wires out
    5.) slide the new wired in
    6.) mount the pickups so they don't jingle around and ding your bass
    7.) re-solder the new pickups, one wire to ground the other to the pickup selector and / or power (see pickup manufacturer for directions)
    8.) put evertyhing together
  5. Charmand G

Charmand G

Nov 30, 2005
    Well, I`ll check with my dealer as well. They have a tech that still owes me one free service. Otherwise it didn`t seem like something I couldn`t do (with a little help from my dad).