1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Re-foaming a road case

Discussion in 'Accessories [BG] - NEW!' started by Bob_Ross, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    So one of my gack cases -- an old Anvil road case originally built to transport a VCR (I think) that I've repurposed to hauling pedals, cables, microphones, accessories etc. -- is starting to show its age: The foam lining is essentially disintegrating.

The rest of the case remains in remarkably good shape, especially considering that I've been taking it on the road for 20+ years, and it was already second-hand when I got it! So I just want to replace the foam interior. Doesn't need to be form-fit, just an open rectangular space, so I was hoping to get something a bit more durable than the soft urethane diced pick'n'pluck cubes.
    Figured a few slabs of foam, some spray adhesive and/or hot melt glue, and patience, and I can DIY this.

Anyone ever done something like this before? I'm mostly looking for suggestions on what sort of foam I should be shopping for. Especially interested in a product that won't disintegrate in 20 years...not because I don't think 20 years is a respectable service life, but rather because cleaning all this disintegrated foam dust out of my equipment has been a real PIA!

Any suggestions? Alternatively, anyone ever had a case professionally re-foamed? Where'd you take it?

Thanks.

2. claudel

claudel Supporting Member

Bob_Ross likes this.
  3. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Yeah, I'm a big fan of hot wires for cutting foam, but I'll probably just use an electric carving knife for this project since it's a small case with no complex shapes.

I'm mostly curious whether anyone can offer the pros or cons of closed-cell polyethylene foam (aka Ethafoam) versus open-cell polyurethane foam (aka Ester). Pretty sure I'm leaning towards the former, but that's just a guess.

4. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Foil covered foam insuluation for houses will do a bang up job. Cut it with a razor knife; score one side and break it right along the line. I used a 2 unch thick sheet of it to cushion a 410 I sent accross the country. The 410 was perfect upon arrival.

Bob_Ross likes this.
  5. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    For some cases that are toting tough stuff like cables, pedals, etc... I have just relined them with a layer of ozite carpet, like what is used in cars. Cut with scissors, use spray adhesive or brush on a water based contact cement. Done.
    Ethafoam would be a good choice, it won't shred away like polyurethane foam. Go thin.

Bob_Ross likes this.
  6. Paulabass

Paulabass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    A lot of case companies will refoam any brand case pretty cheaply. I used to use a case company in Toronto that usually refoamed while I waited. I've also done my own. A steel straight edge, and a VERY sharp knife will do it, and 3M super 77 glue is great.

Bob_Ross likes this.