Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Re-fretting a de-fretted bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Krogolas, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Krogolas

Krogolas

Dec 15, 2003
    Finland
    I have fretless bass that used to be a fretted one, and I would like it to be fretted again. Is this possible?

The frets were ripped off and the holes of the frets were filled with glue and wood-dust or something.

So I want to that is it possible to put frets on the bass.

Thanks for your help

2. ZiggaDigga

ZiggaDigga

Dec 3, 2004
    DFW
    Shouldn't be a problem, I've done this in the past and had no issues.

3. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

I have a Ken Lawrence Brase 5 that was originally fretted, had it de-fretted, didn't play it enough, and had it re-fretted by Ken. He did a absolutely perfect job of re-fretting it (as ALWAYS!!! Ken's work always the best I have seen!) and put in abalone block inlays for me on the fingerboard. It is now my main bass (AGAIN!), although I do have a MTD 535 and a Lakland 55-94 that I play in rotation.

Anyway, if you get someone who REALLY knows what they are doing it should be easy for them to re-fret your bass.

[​IMG]

Beautiful, isn't it?

Dan K.

4. Yes......yes it is. :crying: "Ooohhh say can you see....."

5. Totally plausible. I had a yamaha BBG4S-II that was fretted. Made it a fretless a few years ago. Now I'm selling my Warwick and refretting the Yamaha. Bliggidy blam! If it's not something you can do yourself, get a price quote from your local shop. These kinda jobs get pretty pricey, so you may be better off just getting a new neck.

What kinda bass is it?