1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Re-fretting a de-fretted bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Krogolas, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Krogolas

Krogolas

Dec 15, 2003
    Finland
    I have fretless bass that used to be a fretted one, and I would like it to be fretted again. Is this possible?

The frets were ripped off and the holes of the frets were filled with glue and wood-dust or something.

So I want to that is it possible to put frets on the bass.

Thanks for your help

2. Krogolas

Krogolas

Dec 15, 2003
    Finland
    Anyone?

3. ZiggaDigga

ZiggaDigga

Dec 3, 2004
    DFW
    Shouldn't be a problem, I've done this in the past and had no issues.

4. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sarcasm: Just ONE of the many services I offer! Supporting Member

I have a Ken Lawrence Brase 5 that was originally fretted, had it de-fretted, didn't play it enough, and had it re-fretted by Ken. He did a absolutely perfect job of re-fretting it (as ALWAYS!!! Ken's work always the best I have seen!) and put in abalone block inlays for me on the fingerboard. It is now my main bass (AGAIN!), although I do have a MTD 535 and a Lakland 55-94 that I play in rotation.

Anyway, if you get someone who REALLY knows what they are doing it should be easy for them to re-fret your bass.

[​IMG]

Beautiful, isn't it?

Dan K.

5. Yes......yes it is. :crying: "Ooohhh say can you see....."

6. Totally plausible. I had a yamaha BBG4S-II that was fretted. Made it a fretless a few years ago. Now I'm selling my Warwick and refretting the Yamaha. Bliggidy blam! If it's not something you can do yourself, get a price quote from your local shop. These kinda jobs get pretty pricey, so you may be better off just getting a new neck.

What kinda bass is it?