RE-Fretting a DE-Fretted

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by TreeChild, Oct 30, 2005.

1. TreeChild

Feb 28, 2005
    Wimberley, TX
    i defretted my ibanez gsr 200 neck and filled the slots with woodfiller and put about 4 coats of polyurithane on it. what kind of luck would i have re-fretteing it? and how should i go about doing it? if there is anyone else that has ever done this, or if you just have some advice i would really like to hear it. thanks, wyatt.
  2. To be completelly and utterly honest, i think you would be aswell just buying another GSR200 second hand, that way you could have a fretted and a fretless, because refretting it could easily be ballsed up i would think
  3. Sand the neck back down to the wood
    cut out the slots you filled carefully using a fretting saw set to the right depth
    Get some frets, fretting hammer, super glue, special pliers to bend the frets.
    Make sure the holes are clean, apply some glue
    Take a fret you cut that overlaps the fingerboard some on both sides and that is bent a little more than the radius of your board
    Hammer it in on one side then the other and make sure it's in all the way and stuff
    Do that to all of them, then cut off the excess frets on the sides.
    Make sure they are all in and stuff, you'll probaly have to recrown them after installing them, and put a new nut on.

It's totally going to cost you about the same to buy another one fretted than it will to do it yourself or get it done.