RE-Fretting a DE-Fretted

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by TreeChild, Oct 30, 2005.

1. TreeChild

Feb 28, 2005
    Wimberley, TX
    i defretted my ibanez gsr 200 neck and filled the slots with woodfiller and put about 4 coats of polyurithane on it. what kind of luck would i have re-fretteing it? and how should i go about doing it? if there is anyone else that has ever done this, or if you just have some advice i would really like to hear it. thanks, wyatt.
  2. Ed R

Ed R

Oct 25, 2005
    Shouldn't be a problem at all, just another fretjob. You sand off the poly first, using a radius block, then you re-slot with teh proper tooling, then you refet with properly radiussed frets, and bingo.
    BUt if you're doing it at home it's going to be a bitch to get done right.
  3. jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    This can theoretically be done and is just a matter of re-cutting the fret slots to the proper width and setting the new frets. You may need to sand your fingerboard down as well depending on how thick the finish you put on is. In fact, it's best if the frets can be set directly against the wood surface.

In reality it will depend on the type of filler you used and how much damage was done to the original slots when the frets were removed. If it's a structurally sound filler like an epoxy you should be OK. If you use a non-structural filler and the original slots were damaged you could be in for a hard time.

Having said all that, if you have never done any fret work or don't have the proper tools I'm not sure I would recommend trying it.