1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Re-inspiring your love for a bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rjny36, Aug 19, 2007.

1. rjny36

rjny36

Jan 29, 2006
    Syracuse, NY
    I received a brand new MIA P-bass as a Christmas present from my family back in '95. For about ten years, it was the only bass I had, until I purchased my '62 AV Jazz RI in early '06. Since then, it's gone largely unplayed, and lives in its case most of the time.

HPIM0036.

When I took it out yesterday to give it a thorough cleaning and setup, it dawned on me how little attention it receives these days, and it made me wonder how I'd lost my connection to it... I know, this sounds like a bad marriage or something :p ... but, anyhow, I'm wondering what you guys do or have done to re-inspire your love for a bass that you've let slip out of regular rotation.

Do you give it a new pickguard? Maybe some new hardware or electronics? Listen to a lot of music with which its tone is associated? Is it as simple as experimenting with new strings for you?

What brings back the love? Marriage counseling is expensive, and I fear disapproving looks from the doctor. Plus he'd probably just convince the bass to leave me. ;)

2. PocketGroove82

PocketGroove82

Oct 18, 2006
    Chicago
    It's a possession, not a partner in a relationship.

3. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Having a 'fleet', I simply use different ones for different songs. That way they all make a rotation.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Good question. If you force it, you'll never be happy. It's got to happen naturally.

5. rjny36

rjny36

Jan 29, 2006
    Syracuse, NY
    I know. The relationship comments were jokes. :)

I suppose my intention for this thread is it to not be so much about what I should do for
    my bass, but more a general discussion as to what can or does rekindle your relationship with
    a particular bass.

I think Caca and Jimmy got the idea.

6. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    Well, witha 62 RI, I can see why the P has sat in its' case.

If you use rounds on the Jazz, try some flats on the P, or vice versa.

7. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    My advice....send the bass to me, I will care for it and play it....(makes best mojo face and does hypnotic hand movements)
    :D

Seriously, pick it up and play it once a week or so. Seek out songs with that great p bass thump, or string it with flats and look for some blues and motown stuff and incorporate it into your playing. Hence, the bass will have a place.

Give it time, play it once in a while. You may never rekindle the "love" as you call it, but it will be like sitting and chatting with an old friend every now and then.

However, sadly, one can have too many basses to use regular like. That is why some folks sell them. No shame in it really. But be sure you are in fact done with it before you sell it!

8. rjny36

rjny36

Jan 29, 2006
    Syracuse, NY
    As far as my bass goes, it actually is currently strung with TI Flats. I've been thinking of trying some LaBella flats on it for a different flavor, and will probably do that pretty soon. It's status as a special Christmas present from the family means it'll be with me 'til there's no me alive to be with. :)

I'm surprised, what with some of the large arsenals around here, that more folks aren't chiming in with similar stories.

9. bassjus

bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    Mass
    I have a somewhat similar problem. I have a weird connection with my spector, and I NEVER play it, but I couldn't stand to not see it sitting there in my room everyday. I also have the same with my modulus. After playing it so long I wouldn't want it to go anywhere.

Have you thought about defretting it? It's another possibility to make it even more different than you jazz.

10. I hang them all on the wall with straps on them. I dust them off every week. I keep the cases in the closet

11. arai

arai Banned

Jul 16, 2007
    get an aria...jokes aside,
    what about starting a music project with some people where you only use that bass. then you can mess with your sound for that bass. and have it beside you when you watch tv and play it in the adds

12. I recently gave my Stingray some time off when I picked up a Lakland Skyline Joe Osborn. Since I really like the 'Ray but have never really found a 5-string I like, I'm thinking of stringing it with flats in a BEAD tuning.

Having it go places the JO can't will mean I'll grab it more often...

13. skidrawk

skidrawk

Jan 21, 2007
    Space City, TX
    Rip the frets off. That worked for me.
    P1010032.

14. jbutler1982

jbutler1982

Jul 15, 2007
    As I described, my new P makes playing bass amazing again. I feel like I have so much to learn and improve on since plugging it in - the tone is so clear.

The sky is brighter - colors sharper... food tastes better... all since getting a nice fender P for my own. :)