Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Re-installing my single coil bass pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassman519, Jun 22, 2003.

1. bassman519

bassman519

Jun 22, 2003
    Vermont
    I recently got a used custom bass from a friend. It is very similar to the Fender “Sting” signature bass. It has one single coil pickup and 2 nobs (one for volume, one for tone) Sadly, none of it was wired and I need some help figuring out how to do it.

Attached is a picture of the pickup. As you can see, there is a red wire, a white wire, and a blue wire. How should these be wired through the controls to the cord input jack? (diagram(s)/schematics preferred)

Also, I plan to replace the two potentiometers for vol. & tone. What levels should the pots that I replace them with run at?

That’s all the questions for now.
    Thanks for your time,
    Bassman519
    :bassist:

2. tyson

tyson

Feb 9, 2000
    Dallas, TX
    250k pots
    .05uf capacitor
    i'm not sure why your pickup has 3 wires coming from it...maybe one is a goofy ground wire....
    perhaps upgrade and get a more standard Seymour Duncan single coil pickup... i think they have 3 models.

3. I never try to mess with that stuff. I think investing $25 for a pro install would be wise.

4. bpresource

bpresource

Jul 11, 2003
    OHIO
    there might be a wiring diagram of some help at www.mrgearhead.com

should wire the same as a p bass.

early tele guitar pickups had a seperate ground wire. that might be your 3rd wire.