1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

re: LED mounting on SWR WM-12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tbplayer59, May 23, 2018.

Tags:
  1. tbplayer59

tbplayer59

Jan 20, 2013
    View attachment 3026872 The power indicator LED on my old Wm-12 doesn't light. I opened the amp, and see that it's just an LED on wire leads. I can't determine how it's being held in. There's no hardware, like a nut. My suspicion is that it's glued in.

Does anyone have any experience with these and do you know how to get one out and a new one in?

Thanks.

2. Might just be a press fit. I do this all the time with these.
    Do you have a voltmeter to see if it's getting any voltage?
    Kind of rare that an LED would burn out under normal circumstances.

tbplayer59 likes this.
  3. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    I believe there was a bit of either gelled cyanoacrylate glue or solvent based "brown glue"

4. tbplayer59

tbplayer59

Jan 20, 2013
    I do have a voltmeter, and am planning on checking before making any changes. Thanks.

5. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Hot glue works well on LEDs. The
    AKA gelled super glue, also works well, but it can "smoke" plastic (makes a smokey haze). Work under a ceiling fan.
    Not sure what it is, but I think I've huffed it o_O

6. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Hot glue often doesn't bond well to the metal chassis. Even the industrial hot glues (that I use) are only so-so.

I have a variety of adhesives that I use depending on the application and if it's for production or for prototyping.

7. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    Isn't that a "grain of wheat" incandescent lamp rather than an LED? It's been a while since I had an SWR WM12 so I can't recall.

s-l640.

8. tbplayer59

tbplayer59

Jan 20, 2013
    Interesting question. The schematics indicate LED, but they may be from a newer version. The schematics are dated from 1999 to 2003, but I think mine is older. So now, I'm wondering if the design was revised over the years.

9. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    I believe they were always LEDs.

10. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Do yourself a favor and add some heatshrink tubing in there. If the led wiggles loose it could short on the wires below. Watch out, some new LEDs are really bright!

agedhorse likes this.