1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Re: Metallica... Am I the ONLY one...

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by dmq89, Sep 16, 2008.

1. dmq89

dmq89

Feb 21, 2006
    Selkirk, MB, Canada
    ...who liked Load and Reload?

Actually I LOVED both of those albums! I really dig the whole heavy-bluesy groove thing!

I know there are bands that do this genre better, but I have to say that as a Metallica fan since Day 1 (I even have the "No Life 'Til Leather" undergound demo on cassette!!!), I best liked their mid-career stuff (Justice, Black, Load, Reload)... I sort of saw it as "maturing" musically.

Death Magnetic is a great album, which I find draws on all of their past efforts - and there is some Load/Reload era riffage in some of the tunes!

Sigh... Flame away if you must. I just wanted to see if I was the ONLY one who liked these albums, as nobody ever seems to say anything good about them. :smug:

2. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I love Load and reload. Two of my favourite Metallica albums and two of my favourite all round albums, actually!

I also have a deep, deep love for St Anger.

3. I love Load, 2x4 is probably the grooviest they ever got.
    Reload I hardly ever listen to, it just sounds to me like Load cast-offs, which it pretty much was.

Unfortunately they both suffer from Metallica's 90's insistence on filling every available minute of CD space. And yes, I know DM is pretty long but it uses the time wisely and doesn't feel padded.

I always felt Load was a logical musical progression - it still rocked hard but embraced some other musical styles which had impact on their lives. It made musical sense.
    I think most fans probably took umbrage at the booklet photos more than anything.:D

4. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    Load and Reload just kind of seem to me like after Metallica took Kyuss on the road, they realized that Kyuss were on to something and decided to play more like that.

5. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Nah, Major Metal did too, IIRC.:D

Nah, in all seriousness, I loved Load, just listened to it yesterday, I haven't go Re-Load yet, but have a few songs off of it on my Ipod, I like them a lot too, so I'd guess I'd like the whole cd.

6. GreenFunkGuy

GreenFunkGuy

Apr 21, 2007
    College Park
    It definitely took some time to adjust to the Load & Reload sound, but I think you're right they did that hard rock thing well- it just wasn't the metal people were expecting from them. As for their last two albums (St. Anger & Death Magnetic) I cannot jive with those. The sound of St. Anger was not the sound of professional musicians who had been playing arenas for over a decade. Death magnetic seems to be very bland album. I don't think they developed the songs enough, in spite of the fact that every song is over 5 minutes. That being said I certainly do enjoy their early albums, except for Master, for some reason I could never get into that sound. Maybe some day. :bassist:

7. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Giumme fuel gimme fire gimme that which I desire.... huh?

I desire an actual Metallica album that's halfway decent after the Black album, and Black is stretching it.

8. BassMaster4s

BassMaster4s

Jul 28, 2008
    Wind Gap, PA
    I'll admit my love for those albums.

9. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I really like Load and reload but, IMO, there is a lot of filler crap on both. Remove a lot of that filler and it could of been one great album.

10. standupright

standupright

Jul 7, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Brownchicken Browncow
    they were dead to me after justice....

11. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

The loads are indeed my favorite Metallica albums ! :bassist::bassist::bassist::bassist:

12. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    House That Jack Built is one of my favourite Metallica songs. That and Bleeding Me are amazing. The rest is perfectly enjoyable rock, but never will it be Tres Hombres.

Reload bores the poop right out of me. Smells like bad leftovers.

13. BELLATOR

BELLATOR

Sep 7, 2005
    Me too.

14. I posted a ranking of all the Metallica albums in one of the 142845 Metallica threads :D, and I ranked Load and Reload as my 3rd and 4th favorite Metallica albums respectively. This is what Metallica was when I was getting into them. I liked it then and I like it now.

15. I like load alot, reload not so much though.
    it would have been better if they waited a bit and substituted the filler songs with the really good songs from each album.

i listen to alot of styles of music, so i dont have any problem adjusting to the songs. sometimes however, i believe that i would have appreciated the albums much more if they werent written by metallica, because theyre just so different than what they've previously done, kind of weird.

16. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    How people can say that Reload sounds like cast offs is beyond me! I'd say it has more quality stuff and less filler than load!

Fuel, The Memory Remains, Attitude, Prince Charming, Where The Wild Things Are...wow!

17. Gubna

Gubna

Oct 21, 2006
    San Francisco
    I like Fuel and Unforgiven II off Reload.

There are a few songs I liked on Load, but I can't remember their names - other than 2X4. I'd say I liked St. Anger alot more than both of them, overall. I'd say though that seeing them in the movie helped me like it more - seeing them flesh out parts of the songs - the whole process definately brought me back to being a Metallica fan. I really tuned out on them for most of Newsted's time with them.

just like any album, there are tracks that are better than others. I'm sure it will be the same with the new album (I've heard some it, but not all of it yet).

18. EclecticElectrk

EclecticElectrk

Aug 26, 2008
    Brooklyn
    i must confess i dont like those albums at all. i love their first 4 albums, they are perfect - a few songs off justice sound a littleboring to me, to much open e riffing...but its still a great album. the black album is ok, but everything after...im not such a big fan. death magnetic is the best they have done since the black album i think.

19. CFHtyler84

CFHtyler84

Jul 7, 2006
    Shreveport
    This is my take on Load, Reload and St. Anger. All of them could have been very good and well recieved albums BUT!!! The music had to live to MetallicA expectations and that is where they faltered in many eyes. I personally like Load and Reload and St. Anger well... personally i like the concepts of what they were trying to do and there were some great moments on it BUT i felt like to get to 30 seconds of killer material in an 8 minute song was overkill. If someone (not MetallicA) released these albums, i feel they were have been ultimatley successful for that band. But the "mainstream" metallica fans do not want experimentation they wan't to be beat over the head with layer of crushing guitars and caught up in moster hooks. Good albums i like load and reload and i really love Death Magentic I feel it the best metal album of the year. Just my opinion.

20. Although I prefer all of the other albums (puppets, black album et al) I really liked Load as an album; it was very different and I thought i sounded cool. I really wasn't a fan of ReLoad though, even the name suggest that they didn't really put much into it (if you get what i'm saying) although there is the odd good track such as Fuel.