1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Re-mounting Avatar Speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bluesrx, May 7, 2010.

1. bluesrx

bluesrx Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2006
    Lakeland, Fl.
    Has anyone re-mounted their speakers in the their Avatar cabs using T-nuts or Hurricane nuts for a more secure mount?

What's a good source for the hardware?

2. punkrocko

punkrocko

Jun 18, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    I have. I got the driver mounting kit from Parts Express. Honestly, the neo's are so light the existing screws are probably sufficient. If I had it to do over again, I'm not sure I would bother.

3. I had an Avatar 1x15 yrs ago & re-did the mounting- several screws were stripped- but I just added t-nuts to the back of the baffle. Is there any inherent advantage to front vs rear mounting?

4. rptrsn2

rptrsn2

Feb 21, 2008
    Northeast Missouri
    Endorsing Artist: Aurora Strings
    why would you? never had any problems with the stock install. did you have a problem with yours?

5. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    My Madison cabs came with speakers mounted with wood screws. Upon inspection at least 4 of the 8 speakers screws were stripped on both speakers. Not good. T nuts all the way baby. Woods screws are a cost saver but not the right part for the job.

6. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    T-nutz suck... Hurricane nutz rule. Parts Express is where I get 'em. I think Reliable has them as well. Tee nutz are fine for the first mount - If you line things up right... If you are a little off center, you can push the prongs out of the wood with the bolt...but if you ever remount it's really easy to push them out of the wood. That won't happen with hurricane nuts. It's just a better design for this application. I like the 1/4 - 20's.

As far as the Avatar cab's goat least on the earlier carpeted, cabs I had the speakers had no rear gasket. They were depending on compressing the compressing the carpet to form a seal. I cut the carpet back, applied an actual gasket as part of the job. Today, as a result of a few fEarful builds - I would consider adding some bracing to stiffen the cab at the same time...