Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Re-new speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by warwickbass, Dec 4, 2002.

1. warwickbass

warwickbass

Dec 8, 2001
    Minnesota
    Im going to start this again seeing as how the last didnt go really where i wanted it to. I would appericate it if we could leave Eden out of this one so it dosent get closed and im sure Notduane would appericate that too.... so i have an Eden 4x10xlt and a Eden 2x15xlt both in need of speakers, im not going to get speakers from eden, and i was wondering what sort of speakers you guys would reccomend. i guess i would like an eden like tone out of them but Im open to any suggestions you have. Im powering them with a WT800.

2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I would suggest either directly calling the origional manufactuers of the speakers, or a retailer of the origional speakers, and ask about getting the origionals before you consider getting replacements that dont match the orrigional specs.

Anyone knowledgeable in speaker and cabinet design would advise strongly against using speakers that dont match the cabinets design.

Peace
    Nick

3. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Bingo. Also consider a re-cone. cheaper. but depending on were you live, that might not be an option. I would call the manufacture first thing. i mean, that makes the most sense to me.

4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I once replaced speakers in a 4x10 cab originally containing Eminence speakers "custom" to the cabinet manufacturer's specs. When I ordered the "almost identical" speakers direct from Eminence, the cab sounded totally different.

You're taking a risk by using any other speaker that the sound won't be the same. If you don't want to go through the original manufacturer, consider just selling the cabs and replacing them, perhaps with other used cabs from the same manufacturer.

That is, only if achieving the same tone is important to you . . .

5. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    Isn't Eden the manufacturer of the speakers? With two threads closed concerning the state of Eden, I gather a recommedation of another brand is what he's looking for. Also, can you get them reconed or would Eden have to do that?
    I wonder how EVMs would sound in the cabs. Or PAS or Bag End. It don't HAVE to be Eminence does it;)

6. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    The point is, he has not even called. and i belive the speakers "should" be avalible.

Also, if i may ask, why do both of them need new speakers? did you blow them while playing at high volumes? WHY????

7. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Slap some EV's in them puppies. They'll still be Eden cabs but they'll sound a little better! :D

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You guys'll like this. There's a little store in town that carries Eden. The owner had a customer who wanted to put the speakers used in the D-410XST into his D-410XLT. The store owner contacted Eden (this was a while back), who told him they wouldn't sell him the bare EC 1060XS drivers. So the store owner pirates the speakers out of an XST he has in the store and puts them in the customer's XLT. Then he puts Eminence Kappas in the XST cab.

Now, at first, he wasn't mentioning any of this to me, but the conversation eventually led to the revelation. Anyway, the owner ASSURED me that the Kappas are much better, because they're rated at 300 watts each, giving the cab a rating of 1200 watts compared to the original 1000 watts. Now, apart from the overall slimyness of this activity, his customer has a 410XLT that probably doesn't sound anything like an XST (due to porting and other cabinet characteristics), and he's still advertising that he has a 410 XST in the store, which isn't going to sound anything like an XST, either.

What a major-ass HOSER!

Now the point. To answer your question, I'd go with Eminence Kappas.

9. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    Or how about: what a major ass-hoser! :p

10. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I dont get it. did munji somehow edit his post? your just repeating something he said? i'm a dumbass? i dunno?:confused:

11. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Probably edited to protect the young ones like myself.

Peace
    Nick

12. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Note the hyphenization, man. :)

13. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Its all in the details . . .

FWIW, I like Eminence Kappa's, they're a great sounding speaker, and handle tons of power. However, putting them into a cabinet not tuned for their spec's will not necessarily yield you the sound you are looking for.

Eminence's web site contains a program for selecting the best speaker/cabinet combination based upon the voume of the cab, its porting, and the speaker's specs.

14. warwickbass

warwickbass

Dec 8, 2001
    Minnesota
    Yes Eden is the manufacture of the speakers and you cant get them anywhere else. The 2x15 never had speakers in it, i just bought the cab and figured I would buy the speakers later and save a buck or two. the 4x10 one of the speakers was damaged beyond repair, and the speakers that were in that 4x10 are no longer in production anywhere, so i have 3 speakers... suppose i could build myself a 2x10 but whatever. anyway thats why im replacing all of them. I did call eden by the way about a week ago (after i heard the news i posted) to see if they had them, they said theyd have to check their invintory, and would call me back and i never heard back from them and was not abel to get back ahold of them after trying for 4 days i gave up.

I think I will check into some of the speakers you guys mentioned and ask them about the cabs and what they think about putting them in there. im not tottaly set on putting new speakers in, it would just be nice. i would save money, and still have good tone if it all works out.