1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

re: Newbie questions

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by evoclogic, Dec 16, 2011.

1. evoclogic

evoclogic

Dec 16, 2011
    Hello to all,
    I'm a composer/producer. I play bass, badly. It is an instrument I will always love, but not my main axe (by a long shot). I joined this forum because I have a 19 year old son who has been playing bass since he was around 12 but never really practiced a lot...until now. He is taking lessons with Fima Ephron, and starting to take things very seriously. So this is where I need your help.
    I bought him a $200.00 yamaha bass about 5 years ago, put a badass bridge on it and had it set up. It was fine for him to learn on, and has served him well.
    Now he needs a real instrument. I want to get him something he can grow on for a while, but I need to be somewhat budget conscious, between $500 and $800 is my target area.
    I've heard that some vintage 1970's fernandes fender jazz basses are good for the money, but have had a hard time finding.

Any advice from you heavies out there?

Thanks in advance.

Best,

Josh

2. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Hi, and welcome. Unfortunately, you're going to get as many different responses to this as there are people on talkbass. Everybody here has their favorite bass or company, and that's what they're going to recommend.

As for the Fernandez, it sounds like you found the one guy on the planet that thinks those basses are the ones to have. :) I don't know anything about 70s Fernandez basses (didn't even know they were around that long), but I promise you there won't be a lot of people here agreeing with whoever told you that was the route to go. There is a plethora of great basses that are being built today. IMO, most of what's being put out these days is also of great quality. It's actually kind of hard to buy a bass in your price range that anyone would say sucks.

That being said, you might want to learn a little more about the bass, see what your son might have for preferences, what music he'll be playing most, and what he likes visually which is more important than most want to admit to. The most important things you have to look at are pickup configuration, which you might have to research a bit... active or passive (or both), number of strings, neck profile, weight. Maybe a handful of other things.

If I were to make my recommendation I'd say drop a few more bucks and pick up a Musicman Big Al, which is what some call the swiss army knife of basses. It my fav, but probably a bit beyond what you want to spend. Used, you can find other Musicmans in your pricerange. There's always Fender that just put out a new line of Modern Player basses. I'm getting one for Xmas I'm pretty sure, but I'm not much of a Fender fan. Warwicks are nice. You'll be reading about lots of others if this thread continues. :) Good luck.

3. joe hit the nail on the head, but to expand... this is what i do for all my purchases regarding musical equipment

take him to your local store and let him get as much hands on time with and many basses as possible, i cannot stress that enough.

once he narrows it down to a few, buy a new pair of strings and adjust the action for each one (the store will be more than happy to oblige) and then give him even more time to play them

after he finds his soul mate, dig through the internet, ie. ebay, craigslist, talk bass, to find the best bang for your buck on a used instrument. I got my first high quality bass, a music man sterling h, for 900usd on ebay (worth about 1600) and i'll play it until they put me in my grave. Best decision of my life, easily.

4. joe hit the nail on the head... but to expand, this what i do for all my bass purchases now

take him to your local music store, guitar center, sam ash, etc. Let him play all the basses in there until he narrows down his list to a couple basses. The price of the bass can go up to about the mid thousands since you should be buying used.

now adjust the action and buy a new pair of strings for each of the basses and let him play them until he is totally certain on one.

now search the internet, ie. ebay, craigslist, talk bass, for the best bang for your buck of that specific model bass. I got my first high quality bass off of ebay. Its a music man sterling h with a maple neck, worth about 1600usd and i got it for 900 with a hard case. I'll have that bass for the rest of my life and your son will too if you let him try out extensively all his options.

sorry in advance if i double posted, i don't think my first post actually went through...
    best of luck in your search!