Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Re: Pic of my new custom in process

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 4string4ever, Jan 27, 2005.

1. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    I asked that the thread I started yesterday regarding my custom in process stay on topic and wouldn't you know it, some just can't resist going off on a tangent to make their snyde and sideways remarks about other things. If you want to make a positive or negative comment about my bass, please do as I believe that everyone is entitled to their opinion and that's the topic of my thread.

I take exception to anyone using my or anyone else's thread as a vehicle to make stupid and immature comments. If you want to do that, start your own thread.

By the way, the post in question was made just this morning so I thank everyone who participated in my thread up to that point for their participation in the spirit for the thread was intended and showing their literacy by being able to read my request.

2. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    That looks beautiful... I love the top!

3. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    Thanks.

For those who did not read yesterday's thread, the body is not yet in it's finished shape. Once it is, it will have a Lightwave system installed with all black hardware.

4. Is that binding around the neck? I've been wanting to try that myself. Looks REALLY nice!!!

5. Very nice! :bassist:

6. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Looks great.

7. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    No, not binding, the back of the neck still has to be shaped. That's just a little overhang of tiger maple.

8. pookeymp

pookeymp

Oct 16, 2002
    NY/NJ
    Beautiful! That top is absolutely stunning!!!

Can't wait to see the finished product.

Mikey/

9. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I think that thing should come with a warning. That top may be too much for some eyes. ;)

Second, that headstock would be a good self defense weapon. :p

Overall, very cool looking. I would love to see this with the lightwave system as it would not interrupt the wood of the top. Very nice. I would love to hear what it'll sound like after it's done.

10. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    The sharp edges near the nut will also be rounded off too. (Or perhaps I should leave it as is......to ward off the occasional obnoxious drunken barfly....)

Actually, a funny thing happened. The original top was a crotch piece of figured black walnut that became damaged while in process, so I chose the maple, which it turns out I like alot better! The walnut on the back was already attached, so it will provide what I think will be awesome contrast with the inside sandwich layers of maple, purple heart, and an ash core.

Rest assured, I WILL post a full array of pics and a review after I take receipt.

11. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Looks interesting... not my exact faveourite body-shape, but if you like it, that's what matters. The top is very nice, though. Should be very cool with the Lightwave. :cool:
    I'd like to see how this turns out - I bet, you too :smug:

12. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    Noo noooo.....the body shape isn't complete yet. There will be a cut out where the bottom strap button will be, kinda like a Conklin, and the area where the controls will be will have more taken off. There are a couple of sealer coats on just for the purpose of taking the picture and showing me what the woods will look like, but there is more work to be done.

Yeah, I don't like the body shape the way it is now either!!

13. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Nice shape and woods selection!

One question, are you planning on adding more frets or do you need access past the highest fret for special technique reasons?

14. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    I was wondering when someone would catch that.....I originally asked for 24 frets, and no one realized that they would end there, what with my own body design and all.....I think adding a couple more would be in order. I think only 2 though, since the end is beveled down to the body.

15. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    That would be cool. Why not squeeze 3 more frets (27 in total)... have 3 1/2 octaves, ending on Bb/A# :p .

16. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    Hmmm....perhaps 3 might fit.....