Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Re-post your very first post (if possible)...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Hategear, Sep 21, 2002.

1. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    After reading some recent posts by several "newbies," claiming that some of us have forgotten what it was like to be newbies too, I thought it might be cool to re-post our very first post at TalkBass (I know for some of you long-time vets, that may not be possible). It'll also allow some of us to practice using the search feature here at TalkBass ;) !

If you'd like to participate in this thread, locate your very first post and quote it here. It will be cool to see how some of your styles, thoughts and opinions may have changed over the years. Here's mine:

I joined on 4-6-01, but apparently didn't post until about four days later. Cool, huh?

2. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Here's mine:

i'd have to agree with everybody who says flea, though he was a bit of a show off in some of the earlier pepper's albums. In the latest though, he really augments the rhythm without showin off. He plays some intricate lines that are far more creative than just playin the root of the guitar chords.

I'd like to think my English has improved a little bit, as has my taste in bass!:D I joined in Febuary of 2000, but it took me a good month or so to develop the balls to post. I still do more lurking than posting, but at least my writing skills have become better. I would still consider myself a newbie, but once I get my supporting member upgrade I think that will change. As for the newbs who claim that people have "forgotten" what it feels like to be a newb and are giving them grief for it, I say that the public humiliation is all part of the process, and we turn out better in the end.

(Me fail English?! That's unpossible!):D

3. I don't think I got off to a bad start here. Certainly better than some of our nu-newbies. First post also on the day I registered and it was even in the right forum (GI).

4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Mine. It was not very long ago, the thread was about pickup covers.

<<
    Way to go. It looks great.

There is also those DI Marzio Alchemy 101 pickups with Mahogany covers.

Unfortunately, they're discontinued, but a lot of shops probably have a few in stock.
    >>

5. E.O.M.

E.O.M.

Dec 7, 2001
    Grand Rapids, MI
    FWIW, I have the SansAmp now. :D

6. So I was factually wrong, too! w00t w00t!

7. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    I couldn't find it (too old?). My dinosaur ate it, I swear!

But JT says ;) it was in the Classifieds. I was selling a
    Conklin GT-7 which found a happy home with another TB'r :D.

8. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    "I think all members of a band should be allowed to shine. That's why I like jazz, because there is everything from drum solo's to vocal solo's using scat."

I believe this was my first post. It was in a thread about Guitar solos vs. Bass solos.

I remember I registered here back in 2000, but I only made a couple post because I spent a lot of time at Activebass.com instead.

9. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    posted on the first day i joined, oct 18, 2000.

my first post was a new thread. what nerve! that's what having 4k posts on a car BB before coming here does to you ;)

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7303&perpage=20&pagenumber=1

:D

10. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    From 10/13/01, on the subject of Slider Straps:

I waited a whole two days before posting a pic of my Hanwinckel! :D how did I restrain myself that long?

11. fadlan bassman

fadlan bassman

Oct 23, 2001
    Austin,Tx
    I used this book once.

12. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    The board went squiffy I was locked out and lost my posts.

13. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    ...well, here's the oldest post I can find:

Another vote for EMG's. But, unlike everyone else, while I like the J's and JV's (vintage style), my personal preference is for the DC model (humbucker, similar to a StingRay pickup). They sound like a really fat quiet MM humbucker. Coupled with the BQC tone circuit can get any tone I've ever desired out of my basses (which are both equipped with a pair of the DC's and the BQC). But that is just my opinion, I firmly believe you should try out as many different things as you can, and form your own opinion.

...don't get to the Pickups forum too much anymore....

:D

14. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Looks like GAS brought me here, 7/24/01;

matt schmill fretless bass
    anyone got that url?
    i suppose it's long gone, but that's just what i'm shopping for!
    thanks
    m

and what a boring, mundane, uncapitalized post it was...
    I did get the bass though. That's it over there.

15. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I went to the last page of a search for all posts under my name and came up with this.

I don't remember if this is it though, it could be I guess. I just saw the date, 01-02-2001
    12:02 PM. That was the first day I was registered so i guess it the one! :D

16. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I believe my first post was asking for opinions on EBS Drome combos. It got no replies, and I have no idea where the thread went. Not that it matters anymore.

17. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    my first post is a bit lengthy...

whew!

fun-fact: of the first 15 threads i posted in, 7 were created by me! i wasted little to no time to proliferate this site with my rubbish, eh?

my favorate thread started by me (my ninth post and fourth thread):

www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=16468

18. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i re-read my first post...

wow. i think i really suck at writing now...

:(

19. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    i went looking for my 1st post, but i think i deleted it, because the threads still in the archives but my post isnt....so this is the one right above it on the same day. if its my 1st one or not I dunno, but its the oldest one I could find by me.

20. Kind of weird. I don't like that combo at all right now. Couldnt find about 70 of my posts. Weird.

jtbp

I like peavey...
    I enjoy peavey. Right now I have a peavey combo 115. I think that I paid a bit much for it new ($585)but I think That it was worth it. The only things that I wish it would of had would be a balanced out (like they have on the new model) and maybe add a midrange on the "shelving". The single 15 was loud at 210 watts, but it wasn't quite loud enough for me. So I went out and got a steal at a clearance center on a brand new ampeg bse410hlf. It is a great cab, and it added some punch to my setup. It has all the specs as the svt one, but I only paid $420 for it brand new with 2 bent corners. Now I am pushing 300 watts, and silence my brother when he plays the drums. I have seen the new peavey heads and they seem to be a good deal. I have thought about trading my combo and getting the nitrobass head, which is 450 watts at 2 ohms, and 300 at 4 ohms. The price I was quoted was about 370 dollars, which is pretty good. It has a balanced out and a 3 band active eq. I think it had shiftable mids too. For the buck, I think that Peavey is a good deal.