1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Re-sale value of amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by punkbassistfc, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Hey guys, just wondering what kind of money people get for second hand amps?" What brand has the best re-sale value? I was thinking this because, now that a few manufacturers have moved ther factories abroad does that mean that therem amps will hold there value quite well in 10 years time etc.

Looking forward to hearing your opinions.

2. MarkMyWordsXx

MarkMyWordsXx

May 17, 2006
    it depends on the amp, theres no general theory. if its a quality amp it will still be worth something years later, if its not, then it wont.

3. Ok, say for example:

Ampeg svt-cl or av (us)

Ashdown abm500 (made in uk)

How would they go in the used market in 2 years time?

4. I doubt the used prices will be any different from what they are now.

Possibly less than they are now as the RRP of the new units will possibly have decreased by then.

5. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    Used amps generally depreciate to their market value and hang there. Used V4s have been selling for about $400 for a long time. The few that have appreciated are 70's SVTs,
    B15s and Hiwatts - all have come up quite a bit in past ten years. Supply & demand.

6. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    Mesa gear tends to hold it's value better than a lot of other brands...

Used GK and Hartke gear can be found all over at relatively low prices used.

Ampeg (imo) is hit and miss. If you shop around you can get a deal on used stuff...Especially their cabs.

7. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    One thing I've noticed is that the value of USA production Ampegs is on the rise now that all production has been moved "off shore".

8. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    I'm pretty sure we'll all be noticing that from here on out. :bawl:

9. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    That's a good thing for me as I have a few American made Ampegs. I have zero plans to acquire any of their "off shore" stuff as there are too many excellent American made alternatives.

10. I wouldnt say that 70s SVTs are appreciating really, all the ones ive seen going as still selling for much cheaper (often less than half the price) of a new SVT-CL

11. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    I thought this was a forbidden topic around here :ninja:

12. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Nope, this is allowed. It is a topic about prices relative to a product being made one place and then another. However, if the little tongue-in-cheek remarks keep coming it could get this particular thread closed.

13. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    I'm talking over time. When I bought mine (in '83?) they were going for $300 - $400. Today if it's working well and not beat to crap, you can get 1K for one easy...$1400 or $1500 if you're patient. It's not rampant appreciation, but it's real. Supply being a steadily decreasing number, I think they will continue to go up. Just my guess.

14. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    My 1967 traynor YBA-3 Custom Special seems to be rising in value. It was worth nothing for the past 25 years but now people are seeking them out.

Described as 2/3 of an SVT, it is a very nice all tube bass head.

15. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    If you bought it used, you'll be okay. If you bought it new, you'll pretty much loose money on it.

New pretty much gets you a warranty and the knowledge that it hasn't been pushed or in a damp basement for years and so on.