Re-shaping Moses headstock

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by 59jazz, Aug 21, 2003.

1. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

I'm considering buying a used moses bass neck.......but I don't like the traditional Fender headstock. Is it possible to re-cut the headstock, and sand it to a smooth finish? What would I need to do this?

Thanks, H2:meh:
  2. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Graphite is real rough to cut. Wouldn't hurt to send mail to Moses about this, since they know best whether there is some finish or finishing process they use on their graphite necks. They've always been very helpful to me in the past.
  3. bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    Yeah, not a pretty task. It's like a fiber, similar to fiberglass but much stronger. You could probably cut and sand it a bit, but I'm not sure how smooth you'd get it or how you'd finish it. As mentioned, I'd check with Moses. Also, Joe Zon is on this forum and might be able to offer some insight if he should come across this thread.

4. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    Unfortunately, Joe Zon has only posted one time on TB, over a year ago, so you probably shouldn't look for any help there unless you were to contact him directly.
  5. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    For what it's worth...

Matt Pulcinella is making necks with exposed carbon fiber strips, so he has to shape them over a large area. He says
    More info here (bottom of the page).